The end of Nap Time?!?!?!?

So my son is 4 and will not fall asleep at nap time anymore. He has always napped and I have to wake him most mornings as he is tired and wants to sleep. He is the oldest of my 3 kids and I cherish nap time as my break time during the day. He is still to rest quietly in his room but this dosen't always work.
How have you handled it when your kids didn't nap any more?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• You are handling it just right, encourage him to have a quiet time in his room, but don't dwell on whether or not he sleeps. Naps do come to an end. If he will go to all day Kindergarden next year nap time will have to come to an end anyway, so this is a nice transition. Actually I think you got off easy that he has continued to nap this long.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Dd is 3 1/2 and she gave up her naps too. She just wouldn't sleep, and was pushing it back so late that she'd stay up really late as a result. So now we do "quiet time" in her room for an hour or so, so that I can get some time to myself. She still gets cranky sometimes in the evening, but its not too bad. I'd rather do that and go to bed early, than have her not fall asleep until 11pm and be cranky the next day (she'd still wake up at 7).
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• 4 is about right for the end of naptime. I just handled it. I gave them things to do in their room like a V-Smile or movies while the other kids slept.

Answer by gemgem at 1:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I gave up on nap time when I spent most of it telling them to get back in bed, stop playing, and stop goofing around.

I started putting them on the couch with their blankets, and turning on a movie. They are not allowed to talk or get off the couch till the movie is over. Make sure it is a nice long one!
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 1:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My 4 year old twins still nap but I have to nap with them. I have no complaints about this! I would tell your son he either has to take a nap or have quite time in his room.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My oldest stopped napping at about 3 years. The afternoons became his time with me to do special activities, crafts or games.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My daughter just turned 4 and has given up naps. When it is naptime she plays quietly in her room. She also likes to play computer games like noggin.com or starfall.com. She can only play them at naptime so it is special and most important it does not wake up her little brother.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My 4 year old gave up naps when he was about 2 1/2. He just went to bed earlier! If you think he needs to rest, which I'm sure you both do, then I'd go with "quiet time". You really can't force a kid to fall asleep.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Mine are 8 1/2 and 3 1/2 and never napped. When the noise is too much, they go play in their rooms.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2009