Cat UTI?

When we first adopted our cats and brought them in for their first checkup our vet said we had to wait until they were 6 months old or showing signs of being ready. Well our male peed on the carpet so we called the vet and they said that was a sign to have him fixed, so we did. That was last month. He didn't pee on the carpet again after that. Anyway the last 2 days he's been acting really weird, kind of how he was acting right before he got fixed. He's been walking around in circles, rubbing his body up against the carpet like crazy, and crying. Today he peed on the carpet...sigh. What does this sound like it could be?? A UTI? I heard they're rare in male cats, although I could be wrong because I read it on some random website.

And does anyone know of how much the treatment might cost if it is a UTI? Obviously we're going to get it taken care of asap, but ugh this timing couldn't have been worse.

Leslie120

Asked by Leslie120 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Pets

• They are actually common in male cats. My mom's male cat had numerous infections and a surgery and had to be on a special diet to keep from getting them again.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My cat (male) had a UTI and I was given antibiotics for him, all was fine and dandy for a couple months then he started peeing on the carpet again. I took him back to the vet and it was found that he had a urinary blockage, however when they inserted the catheter (spelling?) to try to dislodge it, it ended up perferating his urinary tract, he had to have surgery and that rocked us about $600. Good luck.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 1:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My male cat gets UTIs. He is on that cat food for Urinary Tract health and i feed him real meat not that canned crap every now and then. When you pick out canned cat food watch the ash content.

My mom had a mal who would get them so badly he'd get a blockage. She spent close to $2000 dollars on taking care of it but he was so old and his immune system was shot there wasn't much they could do.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My cat had a UTI (symptoms sound similar), we got antibiotics for him & it cleared up. The whole deal cost about $70 & he hasn't had any problems since (it has been about a year).
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I just think cats like to pee on the floor, and in closets,etc. Even with a clean litterbox-they'll go in the box, then pee somewhere else too. The smell of cat pee is worse than the smell of dog poop. Could be a UTI, but i think they just do it.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like UTI or crystals in his bladder, very painful. We've had both male and female cats with this. They run around and try to go but they only get a little bit out at a time, and it may have blood in it. Meds will help. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 2:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Anon, you're wrong.

Cats don't do those things because they like to do them. You'd be surprised at how many of them actually have problems that the owners don't know about--because many think like you and never take them to the vet.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2009