Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

milk allergy help!

My DD is 2 1/2 and just had an allergy test (blood test). On a scale of 0 to 6, she is a 2 allergic to both cats and milk. I just dont get it though, arounds cats she's fine. An with milk, nothing!...I read the immediate symptoms are wheezing, vomiting, and hives. Also symptoms that may take longer to develop include loose stools, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, coughing or wheezing, runny nose, and skin rash. MY DD HAS NONE OF THESE!!
So what do I do, just take the test's word or what I see??
Should I stop all milk products all together even though she has none of these symptoms??

Also another thing that makes me wonder is, the doctor said if I do have a cat in the home (which I dont) that I could still keep it though. Just dont let her touch and play with the cat. WTF? Cat hair gets everywhere!....But they say stop all milk....hmmm...I dont know what to do!
whats your thoughts?


Answer Question

Asked by MsPeaches2210 at 4:27 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Kids' Health

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • If it was me and she wasn't symptomatic I wouldn't worry about it.

    Answer by Jazak at 12:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

  • since she is 2 out of 6 it may be something you would only notice if she guzzled milk or played or slept with a cat. I am lactose intolerant but I have to drink a good amount to get an upset stomach other then that I just get slight gas.

    Answer by ilovemybananer at 12:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

  • I have a milk allergy. If I eat a little bit I'm okay, but if I drank a glass I'd be getting hives and bad stomach aches. It has gotten worse as I got older. If she truly has an allergy (and they didn't mix her test results with somebody else,) then milk will irritate her body even if she's not showing symptoms yet. If it were me, I would stop her drinking milk and eating ice cream, but maybe not worry yet about the small amounts of milk that are in things like cookies, pancake mixes, soups, etc. Try different soymilk brands that are fortified with calcium. (I like Silk.) Is it a cow's milk allergy or any animal milk? I'm asking since our grocery store has some good goat and sheep cheeses by the deli. That's another way I get my calcium.

    Answer by digiartmom at 4:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

  • she's a 2 on the scale? i agree with ilovemybananer, it's not serious, limit milk intake and if it gets worse stop... try starting her out on some soy products as well if she really loves milk.

    Answer by MidniteMochaMom at 12:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

  • My son was also tested for food allergies a few years ago and he had allergies to milk, so they said. He is fine with it when he drinks it. It's no big deal, we don't drink it much anyways. I wouldn't worry about her having dairy unless she has a reaction, which she may never have.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:51 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

  • My son had milk allergies at first but he had reactions like spitting up and stomach upset. We put him on goats milk for awhile. I also started giving him yogart and he seemed to take that just fine. He grew out of it at about a year old and is fine now with milk and dairy. Hopefully if it is not that bad an allergy she will outgrow it quickly.

    Answer by rasbneon at 8:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

  • try almond milk is very healthy

    Answer by Patience1 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

  • I haven't read the replies yet sorry if I repeat. Our son was allergic to milk, soy, strawberries, eggs and nuts. He outgrew all but the nuts by 3.5 yrs old. He did have reactions though. Like if milk touched his face, he would swell up slightly in that area. If he drank a cup he would weeze.
    Honestly, I would take the tests word. Allergies are not something you can become immune to by getting more of it. It's the opposite. The less you intake the faster you become immune (there are a few who never outgrow it though) you don't want to take the risk of making it worse and developing reactions by continuing to give it to her, kwim? Although you may not see them now, if you continue to give it to her you could make the allergy worse.

    Answer by pwfaith at 11:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

  • As far as cats go ... when we had our son allergy tested last year they told us that it is the dander but more than that it's their saliva. I have the information sheets if you want more information I can pull them out, just send me a PM.

    Answer by pwfaith at 11:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

  • The concern with allergies is that they tend to get worse with repeated exposure. If she truly returned a positive result, then I'd follow their recommendations. We now have to carry an epi-pen for my son, for his multiple food allergies, and we can't do home trials of things he's reacted to in the past, as its too dangerous. The only option for him are in office food challenges, 1 at a time, to determine what is and isn't safe for him, regarding things he's reacted to in the past.
    So, if she is allergic according to the test, and they're recommending complete avoidance, I would listen to them, but that's just me.

    Answer by mom2ljh at 9:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.