Need help with our new (large) pup!

Hello everyone, my current situation is this: We just got a lab/great dane puppy on Wednesday. He is 13 mos. old and 100 lbs.
We have a cat and 2 goats. My MIL lives next door and has 3 dogs, 2 goats and some chickens. "Teddy" our new dog, is very very good with people including our 1 year old. But he shows aggression towards the animals. Can anyone give me some tips on how to get him accustomed to the animals, preferably quickly?

Thank you!

"...it's our God-forsaken right to be loved..." Jason Mraz

MrsLaher

Asked by MrsLaher at 1:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Pets

• Take him over there around them, make he lie down and stay down, while the other animals get a chance to sniff and walk around him. All the time with you making him stay down on his side. If he starts to get up--gently push him back down. Do this throughout the day. He should get the idea that they are part of his pack and need respect.
    Anonymous

• Has he had any formal obedience training? If not, I would enroll in a class ASAP to work with him on the stay, heel and "leave it" commands, things that all dogs should know and respond to in any situation. That way, even if he never gets over his urge to chase (or eat) other animals, he will listen to you and stop before he gets a chance.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I agree with KTMOM, you can not train aggression towards other animals out of your dog. This is a natural instict for him as he has the lab and great dane blood. But with firm and consistent obedience training you can at least control him and perhaps avert disaster that way. Remember though that a animal aggressive dog is not going to be completely trust worthy around other animals ever. So he would need to be supervised closely while around the other critters. I would also recomend he not be alone with small children either. The running, screaming of a young child could trigger his prey drive which is very strong in lab and great dane.
    mamaOkie

Answer by mamaOkie at 11:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I've put an ad out to find him a new home. Hopefully we kind find him one soon. At first he did alright with the other dogs, but then he put the little dog's whole head in his mouth. I wish his previous owners would have been honest with me about being good with other animals :( It's just too hard to keep him separated from them.
    MrsLaher

Answer by MrsLaher at 10:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2009