Homebirthers/Natural Birthers

I'm having a homebirth in July and would like to hear from some women who have been there. What are some techniques that you used to deal with the pain? Drugs are out of the question, so I'm looking for some unique and useful natural remedies.

hgibsonorc

Asked by hgibsonorc at 2:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Water, music, and singing are what helped me during my homebirth. Do a google search for birth affirmations too. And have those to concentrate on.
    Roosbabe

Answer by Roosbabe at 2:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I haven't had my UC, yet, but I will be watching this question closely!!
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 2:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I just had my first homebirth Nov 24th and my 2nd drug free birth. Listen to your body. Change positions until you feel comfortable. Music, soft lighting, water.

I did most of my laboring in the tub in warm water. My husband put counterpressure on my back during big contractions and used the massaging shower head on my back as well while in the tub.

The experience was amazing and I would do it again. A homebirth is a gift for the whole family, the experience is more personal and intimate. Everyone at my son's birth except the midwife was his family. The first 4 people to touch and hold him were family. My son was cleaned and dressed by family. His first experiences in the world were that of love and tenderness. No bright lights or being poked or examined. He was held and kiissed by me for 25 minutes before the cord was even cut.

Good Luck Mama, you can do it.
    mrsray45

Answer by mrsray45 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Maybe it's just me, but the pain isn't really that bad  when you are at home. My 9 1/2 month old was born at home and the experience was the best!  As long as you allow your body to take control and welcome the contractions, you will notice that the pain relief comes on the down-side of each contraction. =)   It actually starts to feel GOOD (even when they are one right on top of the other).  Distraction is always a good thing.  I loved having lots of people around to keep me preoccupied.   Congrats on your decision- you will be great!!!

ttaylor1998

Answer by ttaylor1998 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Thanks for all your advice! I accidently posted this question twice, oops! But there's other great responses in the other section, so I'll leave them for now :)
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 2:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I had a birth at my midwife's clinic/house. I will be homebirthing in April. I agree with ttaylor1998. The pain isn't really that bad. I could focus on feeling the contractions coming and having my focus set before they rolled in. I was trying really hard to not make high pitched noises and my husband says I growled like a bear for almost 6 hours straight :)
    This time I am hoping for a waterbirth. I was reading about them and they seem so wonderful.
    Have a wonderful pregnancy and birth! :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• With my UC, I spent the first seven or eight hours of my labor or so in the bathtub. I had all the lights out and a candle lit on the sink counter. During contractions, I would focus on the silhouette of my very pregnant body cast by the flickering candlelight onto the wall of the bathroom. It was serene, beautiful, and is my favorite memory from my son's birth.

During the last hour or so and transition, I had to move. I walked up and down the hallway, in circles through the living room where my nest of blankets had been set up, then back through the hallway. I joked that I felt like if I just walked fast enough I could get ahead of the intensity.
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 9:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2009