Homebirthers/Natural birthers

I'm planning a natural homebirth in July and am looking to hear from some women who have been there. What are some of the techniques you used to deal with the pain? Drugs are out of the question, so I'm looking for some natural techniques. Thanks!

hgibsonorc

Asked by hgibsonorc at 2:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Congratulations on the pregnancy, and for choosing to give your baby the best start! :)

Have you joined the groups Birth is Normal, Birth Unhindered, or Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth? These three groups have TONS of resources on how to prepare for a successful homebirth. That would be a great place to start.

The best advice I can give is to not fear birth at all. Deal with any fears you have now before you go into labor. Then when the time comes, welcome your labor! Accept it, work with it, and listen to your body. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I am part of Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth. It's a great group!
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 2:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Are you reading about natural births (like Ina May's books)? And watching homebirth videos? There are some classes that might be good~ like Birthing From Within, too.
    When you start immersing yourself in this concept and start thinking this way, you'll begin having specific questions. Your MW can help you, but you might want other sources to answer questions between appts.
    Have you decided on a doula?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I know NOTHING about this, but am always curious. I wonder where the birth certificate comes from? Do you have a health care professional help you? How do you know if there is a health emergency, and what is the back up plan? I don't say this to pick on your choice, I just wonder. Thanks
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 2:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• You can fill out the paperwork yourself, but the midwives (which she has) can also provide it, too. Midwives are experts childbirth, well equipped to handle complications. If there is something out of their scope they transfer care prenatally. For homebirthing, if there is an occasional & rare complication, they can transport to the hospital.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I wonder where the birth certificate comes from? Do you have a health care professional help you? How do you know if there is a health emergency, and what is the back up plan?

My son has a BC like any other baby. It comes from the same place as the other kid's BCs come from(the county). A midwife is generally there with you to help in case of emergency. If something life threatening happens, you go to a hospital.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Doulala said it all! I am reading Birthing from within and my midwife lent me two more books to read when I'm done with that one. As far as a doula....guess what?! My "birthing team" comes with one! Isn't that great!? There are two midwives and one doula/doula in training. One of the midwives is a certified doula as well. They are also going to lend me their birthing pool free of cost.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 2:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• During my homebirth I found that reminding myself that I could do anything for a minute really helped. Contractions do have a break in between and for me to remind myself a break was coming was a life saver! I did a lot of bouncing too, for some reason that really took the edge off. I also had a doula who gave me massages through the birth and those helped me to cope and to keep me calm. My 24 hour homebirth with no meds was actually MUCH nicer than my 7 hour hospital birth with an epi. Birthing from Within is a great book and has many way to learn to cope during labor. The groups listed above are also quite helpful! I'm a member of all of them.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Thanks for all your advice! I accidently posted this question twice, oops! But there's other great responses in the other section, so I'll leave them for now :)
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 2:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I didn't have a homebirth, but I did have a drug free birth with my second, 9lb baby! I found that starting to do my breathing exercises BEFORE the contractions got really painful helped a lot! With my first baby, I didn't start breathing until I was in pain, but by then I couldn't concentrate.
    So with #2 I started breathing as soon as I was in labor. Then as the contractions got more painful, I got myself to almost "space out" during the contactions. Transition was the hardest and then I found that breathing noisily...almost moaning I guess...helped with the pain. If I was quiet it hurt more.
    That's what helped me, I didn't follow a particular technique or anything, just did my own thing!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2009