What do I need to get my chicken community started up?

I would really love to keep a few hens (for the eggs) and would like some suggestions to getting started up. What exactly do I need to keep 5-10 hens?

hgibsonorc

Asked by hgibsonorc at 2:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• A small coup or pen to keep them in, boxes with straw for them to lay the eggs, of course a pole for them to get to the boxes, there are water thing-a-ma-jigs that you can get, chicken feed, and of course, the hens. You only need a rooster if you want to have the eggs fertilized and breed new chicks. I would also check into a licing spray as hens can care and breed lice in the spring and summer. Good Luck.....
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Lots of money... For a few eggs its not worth it. But if you insist then I agree with foreverb3

40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 9:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• make sure that you pen is predator proof. things like skunks , foxes and other things will eat your chickens. things like snakes and rats will eat the eggswelcome spring.gif

terri913

Answer by terri913 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2009