Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about financial assistance and cs

I saw an answer on another question, is this true? If a divorced family(mom and kids) is on any kind of state assistance, is the DAD responsible for paying it back, either through child support (state would keep money and mom wouldn't get it) or as extra burden on him?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • I think people are understanding it wrong. If "dad" is paying child support like he is suppose to and on time and mom is still qualifies for assistance mom may get a lesser amount of food stamps, cash, medical but she will still get it. If dad is a dead beat and isn't paying a dime when the state catches up to him he will have to pay back that money according to what he was suppose to be paying in the child support order. For instance if the state gives mom a check for $200 and dad was suppose to pay $150 a month he will have to pay that $150 of the $200 because that was what he was ordered to pay and didn't. If there was never an order in the first place then he would have to pay back the whole amount.


    Answer by babyfat5 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • No, that is stupid whoever even said that. Why would he pay it back? He is not the one on assistance.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • OH btw, child support is as what it says, for the CHILD and not to pay back things and why do most women want to "stick" to the ex?

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • thank you lol, i hope that's correct because it would be so unfair!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • Yes it would.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • lol, i read that post too. i think what the poster meant was that if ex is behind on CS and mom and kids are on gvt. support ex's tax return goes to the mom for back CS. at least thats what i understood. and i know thats how it is here.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • My grandparents had to get TANIF (which is cash assistance) when I was a child b/c my sister and I were abandoned by my parents. When the government caught up to my mother and father, they HAD to pay back every dime that was given to my grandparents b/c they were the ones that should have been providing the support for my sister and I instead of the state. So yes, if there is an absent parent that should be supporting the child and is not, the state can come after that parent for payments of the support that was given by the government. But if lets say BM is on medicaid and foodstamps and the father is paying child support like he is supposed to, then no the father would not have to pay anything back b/c he is doing what he is supposed to be doing. I have heard of the state taking away CS from the CP if they get cash assistance though b/c the CP was unable to provide for the child.

    Answer by amyrw at 3:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • If a mother is receiving public assistance the father is responsible for paying it pack (or whichever parent is the absentee). You will still receive child support but it will be a lesser amount b/c the system will take a portion of the money.

    Answer by micrespo at 3:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • Yes he would because you help from the state.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • Part of your child support every week will go to pay back whatever money you received from assistance. Like they take a certain percentage which isn't a whole ton of money.

    Answer by OneToughMami at 3:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2009