I want to get my 2 sd a phone for christmas

I have 2 sd a 14yr old and a 15 yr old a phone for christmas but ...........

they are disrespectful, rude, they dont pick up after them selves when they are at our house but the reason I want to do it is because they do not have a phone at their house and their mother answers the phone when she wants to. She leaves them alone and one of them walks to and from school so I feel like she NEEDS it incase something happens to her.

I also feel like I can take it away when they misbehave. My dh agreees with me now but i do not know if i take their phone away if he will be supportive because I am alot strickter than he is. I know the phone will be a good tool to get them to be on their best behavior. i do not blame them for most of their behavior as they do not have a role model at their home (their mother) she is a lost case. I want to get them their phone to teach them some responsibility........but im not too sure what would you do?

selaranda

Asked by selaranda at 4:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Get them a pay as you go phone and speak to them about behavior in your house. Your DH has to support you in this. You can use added time to the phone as a way of rewarding proper behavior. This way they have a phone number that won't go away but if they drop to only a couple of minutes they can't yak on the phone.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2011

• I was going to say that your motives seem controlling and mean, but the way robinkane talks about adding minutes to their phones as a reward sounds much better. I much prefer the idea of rewarding good behavior to punishing bad behavior.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2011