Clay soil

What kinds of colorful shrubs or plants will do well in clay soil? I have 2 azalea bushes there now, and they do fine. I need some space filling shrubs, then flowers in between. Also, we want to plant a nice shaped tree in our back yard, maybe a bradford pear, when is the best time to plant trees?

hw1977

Asked by hw1977 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I love Bradford Pears, but unfortunately the branches start falling off. When a huge branch fell off and into our driveway we saw the writing on the wall and had the tree removed- a terrible shame since it was beautiful. I googled and found there are other varieties of Bradfords now, but they all seemed to still be fragile. So I wouldn't recommend Bradford Pear. Our soil is mostly clay, too. We have great luck with maples of all varieties- Japanese Red Maple is an outstanding tree in color and shape- it is a bit expensive to start with but worth it. Oaks do well. Kwanzan cherries- each flower is like a bouquet in the spring- I love ours. Boxwood is a space-filling shrub that is attractive and hardy. rhododendrum is attractive and grows well.

Answer by Bmat at 2:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Plant them any time they are dormant. I'd suggest early spring to avoid harsh winter weather when they are just transplanted.

Answer by Bmat at 2:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• We have clay soil here too. I grow roses. But you have to use Liquid fertilizer in clay soil. Because the other kinds won't penetrate far enough down to work.

Answer by louise2 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2009