My 16 month old is still on the bottle..

Whats your opinion? And any weaning tips?

MomAt15woah

Asked by MomAt15woah at 2:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No opinion. All babies are different. Some of my kids were off by the time they were 1 some when they were 2. The way I did it was stop giving them bottles during the day and switch to a non spillable sippy cup. They can nap with that. Then slowly take them at night and the baby should be weaned.

Answer by gemgem at 2:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My 13 month old is still on the bottle, and occasionally has a sippy cup (when we go out, or with lunch/dinner). My Mom told me she started giving us both, a sippy cup with milk and a bottle with something like watered down orange juice. We always preferred the milk, so eventually we started to reject the bottle because of that.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• You know your child. Is it time to wean?
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My opinion is that a 16 month old is not a baby, and that it's time to switch to a sippy cup or straw cup.

However....s/he's your kid, not mine so it doesn't matter!

Start offering a sippy cup if you want to get rid of the bottle (or a straw cup! mine were using straw cups at a year). Once s/he demonstrates s/he can use the other cup, get rid of the bottles. There's no longer a need for them if another vessel can be used.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I suggest getting the straw cup too....you see there are straws in ever fast food place that you go...on jucie boxes and such...so the thing that s/he is going to want to do is drink from the straw. I got mine at Walmart and my girls did great with them...It is just a piece of advice but this is what I did. One morning (my youngest is 19months) I took all of the bottles except for two and let her watch me put them is a bag to Get rid of them...and I told her that we are getting rid of the bottles now and you are going to use a cup...and when she asked for a bottle I told her no bottle Cup...and what do ya know she loves her cup...Just thought that I would let you know what I did...
    AnaBaumgartner

Answer by AnaBaumgartner at 3:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I know that the "experts" want us to take the bottle away at one year, but it's funny how the "expert" opinions change drastically every few years. My son is 20 years old. He had perfect speech, and I mean perfect. His teeth are perfectly straight, no braces, and he's never had a cavity or dental problem in his entire life. He loved his bottle and I let him have it until he was three years old. He did not have it in his crib. He did not walk around "sipping" it all day. It was one bottle when he woke up. Another before his nap. Another after his nap, and the last one before bedtime. They were six ounces. He ate a wide variety of healthy foods and grew steadily.

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 4:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• continued ... Oh, and he had his pacifier until three as well, but only in his bed. Check the picture of my son on my profile. Look at his beautiful smile and teeth. If there is an emotional attachment and resistance to transition to a cup, let the child lead and just make sure she's eating and growing well, and try not to let it worry you. She will be fine.

FreeHomeBiz

• When does she use the bottles - all the time or only at sleep time?
    If it's all the time: you can either go cold turkey and not give her any bottles ever, or you can give her sippy cups in the day and bottles at sleep times. But she does need to start using a sippy cup and learning to drink for open cups too.
    If it's just at sleep times: As long as it only has water, you don't need to worry about it. Milk or juice will rot her teeth but water won't. You know your child best. If she needs the sucking action to slow down and relax, then there is no harm in letting her have it. If she doesn't need it, then there is no harm in taking it away.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Take it away. He/she doesnt need it. Peroid.
    Mother2oneboy

Answer by Mother2oneboy at 7:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My daughter is 15 months, and I have just in the last week decided that I need to stop treating her like a little baby! I just stopped with the bottle all together, and we played with the sippy cup all day, I even drank out of it for awhile, and now she loves it! No more ba-ba's.....and we have pretty much got rid of the pacifier except at night.
    I think that time flies after their first birthday, it has for us, so all my good intentions of giving up the bottle then kinda went out the door....and then I realized that she's ready to be more grown up, and it was me who wasn't giving her the opportunity.
    Anonymous