When should you take your child to the ER for constipation?

I have been in and out of the Dr's for a while now with my youngest son who is 17 months old. Finally, the dr. said we have tried everything and you need to take hime to a GI specialist. So she sceduled an appointment for next week. Today he has been crying won't stand straight, grunting, and saying Owie at least once an hour. Should I take him to the ER?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Health

• When is your appointment? I don't know what the ER would be able to do for you that the doctor hasn't. Poor baby. I hope that they get this figured out fast.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 3:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Well it is scheduled for the 27th but the Dr is trying to see if he can get him in sooner.
    Anonymous

• Ouch the 27th! I hope you can get him in sooner. Maybe getting him into the ER will help push the issue and get your little baby to that specialist faster.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 3:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I think you should probably take him to the ER now. My little brother had poo issues and by the time my mom had decided to take him the the hospital (against the Dr. advice) my brother had septic poisoning. So unless you are going to get an appointment tomorrow. I would bring him today. The can at least help you get him cleaned out, until the Dr. can see you. Good luck!

teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• If you go to the ER, they will probably run a bunch of tests that are needed, anyway. They will also most likely get the answers back faster. I, personally, would go to the ER. You may get a really big head start in finding out what is going on with your child. Good luck.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 4:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I would definitely go to the er. Very hard built up stool can cause acute and or permanent damage to the intestine sometimes resulting in a colostomy bag. If nothing else they can at least remove the stool in the er so something very traumatic wont happen but stick to your guns and push hard for treatment even if it is just to get through today
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My daughter has the same problem, although, it is not as bad as it was when she was younger. She is 5 almost 6 and would not go poo at all. My doctors and I tried everything to make her go so they sent me to see a specialist. They ran all kinds of test and found nothing. I used to give her enema's to make her go.  I had to give one to her every 2 or 3 days so she wouldn't get stopped up bad.  I think she didn't go because she had the memories hurting her, so she would hold it.  She still won't go unless I make her go, but now I make her sit on the toilet and she will go without help.  I hope everything works out for you and your little one.  I had a hard time with it and did everything I could.  Have you looked into natural ways to lubricate the intestines?  Message me if you want to talk about it.

dddd2776

Answer by dddd2776 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2009