Laura Bush's Plates ??

So i had been seeing stories about what china Michelle would contribute to the white house because she is said to have good taste (except acceptance speech dress of course!) ... but then it came out that Laura spent half a million dollars (alway prvivate $$ is used for the plates so not tax money) on a set of china (for the white house collection.) Really i think they are the most awful choice in styles... very old fashioned... etc... so what are thoughts on this??? (please dont tell me i am being petty, i know there are bigger issues in the world but i am in Ohio with 8 inches of snow outside and i am bored and dh is actually watching ds quietly...) endulge my random thought and share...

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 3:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree the plates are very old fashioned and stuffy. I liked Nancy Reagan's so far the best, but I would assume the choices from the china producers are probably a little haute or stuffy to begin with and not something the women designed themselves. If the money comes from private sources the contract to buy the plates is probably in effect with a certain company before the First Lady ever sees any of her choices to select from.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I haven't seen her plates, but I used to live in the DC area and I enjoyed going to see the displays of the White House china. I think it's a nice tradition that each First Lady (If we have a female Pres I don't know if she would want to select it, or if her husband would do it) select a China pattern that reflects their own personal taste and style. Then have parts of that set preserved for posterity.

Because when you think of it, 50 or 100 yrs from now our great great grandkids will be seeing this in a museum and thinking how cool it is to see this stuff from so long ago. (lol - when Jefferson and Adams and all of them were alive and in politics they had their share of scandals, who was good, who wasn't, whose wife had better taste, who had horrible taste, etc, and we're glad it's all been preserved for us to see.)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• But, as far as if Laura's china is in poor taste or not, I don't know, I haven't seen it. Personally, from what I've seen of both women, I don't think either of them can be accused of having BAD taste, just different styles.
    sailorwifenmom

• I also don't they they have bad taste like the post said before different syles.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• You really thought her acceptance speech outfit was bad? I think she was trying to hide her hips and pick something that gives her a narrower figure. Television cameras are unkind, and people watching are so used to seeing 50 pound underweight women, its hard to compete! :)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I saw the plates that Laura Bush had picked out and I think they are very nice looking. They have a very classic feel to them but Laura Bush strikes me as the type who enjoys going to antique shops and picking up some vintage items. Both sets of china were very nice looking. I haven't seen Michelle's choice in plates but I image they will be just as nice but in a more modern sense.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I love the tradition of the plates. It's cool to see at the White house. I haven't seen Laura Bush's yet , but I can't wait.

I haven't understood why everyone is so obsessed with Michelle's style. It's not really me, but hey, whatever.
    I like square plain colored plates like black or white because you can really show case your food, so I would probably not buy anything like either first lady!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I just looked up laura bushes china I like it. very classy and traditional.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 4:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• They are classy and elegant.

They were paid for by a private source.

EVERY first lady has done this and she didn't even spend the most

They were ordered a LONG time ago.

and they were made by AMERICAN china maker LENOX.

p.s. At least they aren't STEALING from the white house like some former administrations!

Anonymous

• annom i said they were paid for privately (read much??) lol yes she spent the most... please look that up, the next most expensive was hill and she spend half as much 250,000 ... why are you so defensive... and no one else things GOLD plates are tacky? wow... i just liked the Vera Wang or even Martha Stewart designs i saw that were presented as possible choices for Michelle. i would have liked to see a pertinent designer attached with the plates making them more culturally significant... lenox is for old people...

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 4:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2009