Addicted to raw oatmeal! Why??

I have this craving all of the time to eat plain old uncooked oatmeal. I eat it by the mouthful. It's fairly recent and I'm kind of freaked out by it.

Any insight would be great -

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Actually, slow cooking oats are a low-glycemic food so they won't spike your blood sugars. Instant oatmeal, high glycemic (spikes blood sugars). Have you tried crunching on steel cut oats? Better for you and would be a similar texture to grapenuts.

Enjoy!
    livewell4me

Answer by livewell4me at 5:13 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You must be very regular.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Well it's not bad for you... Are you pregnant?

I like raw oatmeal too. I use to get the flavored ones and eat them.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 3:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Cool! I never heard of liking it uncooked! It must be good for you, too. Sometimes when we crave something it means we are lacking a nutrient that we need.... I can't think what it could be in oatmeal. But better an oatmeal craving than candy or chips.

Answer by Bmat at 3:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• It may raise your blood sugar level when it is dropping. You are causing a rise when you eat the oatmeal. Those types of cycles run about two hours. You eat, feel better, feel weak and craving in about two hours, you eat, feel better...
    That's my best guess.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 5:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2009