• In the Spotlight:

Why bother forwarding your mail?

We moved a few months ago and had our mail forwarded. It's rare we ever get anything from our old address. In fact, my husband's grandmother said she had my birthday card returned to her instead of it being forwarded. Then today we get something that's been forwarded, only it's not addressed to us and it's not even from an address we have ever lived at. Have you ever had problems like this?

Silvertears1275

Asked by Silvertears1275 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We had issues with our mail being forward, too. Come to find out, the mail was being thrown out from our old complex. The Post Office "excuse" was it was a new carrier and would be addressed, It wasn't. My spouse and I complained numerous times and even to the head manager at the local post office and it did not help.

Why do we pay such high prices for mail services? The service is not being done adequately, IMO. We got a package yesterday and it was smashed and partially opened. I guess the post office is only careful with insured packages. When we receive insured packages they are ALWAYS in pristine condition.Makes you wonder...............

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 3:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Nope we didn't have a problem with it. When did you sign up to have your mail forwarded? Sometimes it takes a week or two for it to get put into the system. And if you moved recently, I imagine that the post office was behind from all the Christmas stuff.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• lol my post office sucks too. they're always giving us mail from the next street over, just because the last names are the same. hello both the number and street address are totally different! those fwd thingies are only good for a year i think, then they start sending it back as unmailable, unless they changed the rule/law (idk)
    mamma84

Answer by mamma84 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Wow. You mean trouble with the post office service? Yes, quite a few years ago, maybe 15, we kept getting porn ads. I drove to the post office, twenty minutes away, and filled out the form that was supposed to block people from certain addresses from being able to sent us mail. I followed all the instructions and was assured that after a certain time we would not get more from that company. When we did, I drove back and told them that I wanted the company prosecuted as was promised by the post office. They had me fill out a another of the same forms, and that took care of it. So I strongly suspect they tossed or lost the original.

Answer by Bmat at 3:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• yes i just recently moved and it'll like be months before i get something i was supposed to. the postal service is a joke.
    Kristina.C

Answer by Kristina.C at 4:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• We still get mail for the old owners of our house ALL the time.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• We received our mail from our Virginia Beach address just fine - everything was forwarded wonderfully and we also changed addresses with every company we did business with - especially friends and family.
    We had a friend stay as a guest for about 4 or 5 months and she had her mail coming here. After she moved out her mail kept coming here so I told her she needed to do a COA card with the PO. We saw less mail coming and I would just let the mail carrier know to forward any mail that still made it through. She didn't get her forwarded mail for 6 months after she did the COA with the PO! Her stimulus check was in that pile, too!
    (Continued)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• (Continued)
    Now my daughter has moved back home, has done a COA with the PO from the former state she lived in and an important document was sent back because my local postal carrier didn't recognize her last name even though it had our address on it. I was upset, but I guess I should put hers and our last names on the outside of the mailbox.
    We still get mail for the former owners, too, and they haven't lived here since 2006!
    Crazy!
    PrydferthMenyw