If you don't trust the government, why implement socialism?

An earlier posting asked whether we trusted the government. Most repliers said "no".

If you don't trust the government, then why implement socialism? Why would (most of) you say that you don't trust the government, but praise actions that would allow the government to dictate every orifice of your life, like socialism?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 3:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I do not think anyone really understands socialism. You are acting like it's a dirty word. You do realize that we already have socialist ideals being implemented everyday correct? It's called the public school system...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Most people dont understand socialism. A long time ago they said if socialism ever came to the US it would come on the back of smiles, hope & change.

Answer by gemgem at 3:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I don't know anyone who wants total socialism but maybe a dash here and there. At least the govt we have some sort of say over, in theory anyways. With privatization we deal with corporations who put the bottom line first,  and we have no control over them.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• That's an absolutely BRILLIANT question!!!!

high five

(Bet there won't be a lot of people responding to this one, though!!! LOL)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Really good question. I think we already have many aspects of socialism already and people just don't realize it. This was actually the main reason why I didn't vote for Obama his idea's were to socialist for me (I didn't really like McCain either and usually vote dem) I'm really interested to see what the other people who like the idea have to say.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Friday I don't know anyone who wants total socialism but maybe a dash here and there. At least the govt we have some sort of say over, in theory anyways. With privatization we deal with corporations who put the bottom line first, and we have no control over them.

***

Well, maybe SOME of us like a "dash" of CONTROL over our OWN lives!!! You can't have your cake and eat it too! 

Do you remember how our parents said "our house, our rules?"  Well that's how private companies, and to some degree the Government operates.  If you don't like the rules, then get your OWN "house."

Anonymous

• clappinggemgem...Wonderful answer.

micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 3:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I grow up in socialist country . And I can honestly say I haven't heard anything what Obama wants to do socialist.
    Anonymous

• There is no perfect Government system. Personally, anarchy would be ideal (like that will ever happen). Free medical care, higher education and other social programs are no different than currently in place programs by the Government. The Government does not beed socialism to do "bad" things to its citizens. Think "The Manhattan Project".

Anonymous

• OneToughMami I do not think anyone really understands socialism. You are acting like it's a dirty word. You do realize that we already have socialist ideals being implemented everyday correct? It's called the public school system...

***

BUT, as parents we have the option to move to a different school district that better reflects our ideals, homeschool our children or send them to private school.  Once again, allowing EACH person to CHOOSE what they feel is in the best interest of their OWN families--not what the GOVERNMENT says is in our best interests!!!

Anonymous