does any one have trouble putting there almost two year old to sleep do you got any suggestions

i have trouble putting my two year old to sleep at night, it takes me for ever. i usually go up stairs up at ten in my room with her and try and rock her to sleep, i just get so frustrated because all i want to do is go down stairs and just relax what should i do

kapnick_mom_101

Asked by kapnick_mom_101 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 22 months, I had had enough of the late bedtimes with my son, and I took some advice here and there, put it all together, and came up with a plan. First of all, every day from 3:30 to 5 p.m. I tried to get his energy out at the park. Back home, I gave him dinner at 5:30 p.m., a bath at 6, and at 6:30 p.m. it was pj's, milk, bedtime stories. I put him in bed, tuck him in, give him a kiss, and tell him to close his eyes, go to sleep, and have sweet dreams. I sit across the room and he is sound asleep in less than 10 minutes without a fuss or a fight, continued ...

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 4:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• continued .... It was tough at first because he would not stay in bed. Once I told him goodnight, that was it. I did not speak another word. The house was dark and quiet, so there was nothing to do and nothing for him to miss. His toys are not in his room either. Every time he'd get out of bed, I would silently put him back down, tuck him in, and sit back down in the chair. Within 3-4 nights, he was done with that. My consistency and stubbornness won that battle. Thanks Supernanny, lol.

FreeHomeBiz

• i pretty much do the same thing, except i dont sit in the room and my son is still in a crib (20 mos). but i try to wear him out in the afternoons and the we have a bedtime routine very similar to above.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Wow! 10? Not saying it's wrong, just surprised is all. My 2 year old is in bed at 8 and has been for...oh geez...a long time.

We just take him up to his bed, lay him down, cover him up, tell him good night and leave the room....

I hope you find something to work!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Routine is the key. They feed off it. I agree with the others to wear him out and then always stick w/ a plan; bath, story, rocking and then bed. Hopefully this helps.
    turtle2006

Answer by turtle2006 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• We have had the same problem. In order to get some sleep for us I asked our doc. He gave me some info & I realized some mistakes I was making. The biggest being letting him nap longer than 2 hours and/or later than 4 or 5 or sometimes later, so of course he's not going to sleep anytime soon. So now I don't let him sleep past 2 hrs or later than about 3:45. (Our days are different depending on errands that day, we're not real structured.) This has seemed to help alot. Must admit I still hold him until he's asleep, but it doesn't take that long because he is ready for sleep. (We also play chase & things to wind him down in the evenings) I do want to try that Supernanny thing that FreeHomeBiz did.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2009