about adoption

i want to know if any miltary family has adopted children and if so what was it like and does it cost anything and can i have a new born baby boy and name him what me and my husband want to name him parker lee kapnick

kapnick_mom_101

Asked by kapnick_mom_101 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Adoption

• Regardless of military or not, adoption costs A LOT of money. Most times, you can name a newborn whatever you want. Not to mention they give you the option of changing the name if you would like as well.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• military here and guess what? You can't get a baby on tricare if it is not through an agency. (Private adoption). We are using an attorney and he does work for an agency, but its not an agency adoption and the agency didn't place him with us. So yea, we were given a book that said that you must have a letter from the agency for a PRE ADOPTIVE child. We gave them a letter from our attorney, but regulation says an agency. So we are paying for his doctor visits cash. yes, it does cost...military has nothing to do with it. So much to write about! Just message me!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• And yes you can name the baby after the adoption is final. In our case, I've known the birthmother for 10 years so she let us name the baby when he was born so the only thing that will change after finalization is his last name, and I'm glad because we can just keep that name.
    Anyway if you want you can message me.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound rude, but the way your question reads, you have no idea what adoption is about. I would suggest joining some groups on here and learning what adoption really is. You kind of make it sound like your going to buy a cabbage patch doll.
    Anonymous

• I am military too. If you want, feel free to PM me. I have adopted twice in the military....one was agency and one was private. You have the same fees any other person would have. The military does have a reimbursement for up to $2,000 of qualifying expenses. Yes you can name the child. I would highly recommend reading all the regulations that the military has on adoption. Hope this helps

Here is something on the reimbursement program I got off the internet: http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/adoptionreimbursement.html

animalcarespc

Answer by animalcarespc at 6:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I forgot to add, along with researching the regulations, etc that the military has on adoption, I would also recommend alot of research on adoption in general too.
    animalcarespc

Answer by animalcarespc at 6:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I agree read all the regulations beforehand. We are getting out next month thank goodness.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2009