NICU???

if a baby is born at 34 weeks will they have to go in to the NICU and if so how long will they be there???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Probably, and that depends on the baby.
    Anonymous

• probably so. it depends on the baby, how much they weigh if they are breathing normally, any other health problems...etc. assuming he/she is born healthy and has no problems he/she probably wont have to stay long.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• not necessarily. My son was born at 34 weeks and 5 days gestation. He spent no time in a NICU and left the hospital the same day I did. Prior to 35 weeks gestation lung maturity can be iffy but there are new studies that are showing a woman who goes in to preterm labor for an internal reason (in my case the babys umbilical cord hadnt attatched properly to the placenta and he being deprived of oxygen) your body kicks the baby cooking into high gear to try and prepare that baby for liek outside the womb. My son is certainly proof of that
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• It all depends on the baby. No two will need the same thing. My twins were born just shy of 34 weeks. Both needed NICU for jaundice and feeding issues. One was in two weeks for just that. The other had severe breathing issues and needed a blood transfusion due to blood incompatibility issues. He was in for a month.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 5:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My son was born just shy of 35weeks he was in the NICU for 2weeks for breathing and feeding problems. But no to babies are alike. A baby could be born then and have no issues.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 5:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• That really depends on the baby. I had a friend who's son was born at 34 weeks and he didn't any type of assistance when he was born. His lungs were developed, he ate good and he was healthy. He came home 2 days later.
    Yet, my youngest son who was born at 41weeks and weighed 10 pounds and came out eating 5 ounces at a time was in NICU for a week because they thought he has some neurological problems.
    Just depends on the baby is all I can say.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2009