What is supposed to happen at kid's birthday parties?

I feel so stupid for asking, but while talking to my DH the other night, I realized that I never went to birthday parties as a child (thanks mom!!!) and any parties that were thrown for me never included other children, only grandparents, aunts and uncles. I want my children to have a "normal" childhood. How do I throw a party, and what's involved? What kind of games, and what about time restrictions for activities? Please give detail, I really am clueless.

steveswife1130

Asked by steveswife1130 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Entertainment

• how old is your child?
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Girls are such fun to do parties for! I have done many and my girls are 11 and 16. 2 hours is a good time frame. It doesn't take long to have everyone arrive, do games, cake and presents. I always do a theme. Once, I asked for a cardboard Scooby-doo and the Gang Mystery Machine display at the store. I cut a hole in it and had the kids put their heads in it and it looked like they were one of the gang! I took their pictures. I had a Teddy Bear teaparty, Tropical Carnival, Survivor, MaryKate and Ashley themes. I had one party with boys and girls. Never again. The boys are totally different when it comes to attention span, activity level and of course, they have different interests. PM me with age of child and theme or ask me to help with themes. I will give you the benefit of my experience. I would love to help! I miss those parties.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 4:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Well we always rent a venue so we dont have to share with the public. Usually we do the roller rink, pinata, music, some games, cake, icecream, party hats, littyle prize bags for the kids etc. I normally they ppl play and chit chat about 15 min then get into whatever game we are gonna play. Then we do the pinata, play more, then cake & gifts and go home.

Answer by gemgem at 4:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• OP here, sorry, I have 3 girls, 7, 4 and 5 months, so any age is helpful :) Thanks!!!
    steveswife1130

Answer by steveswife1130 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Just play some games like pin the tail on the donkey bob for apples or duck duck goose or something kids can play. Have a little bit of decorations and some cake and ice cream. Also you may want to ake some finger foods or something easy so you dont have a big mess to clean up
    or can get a pinata we did that balloons
    luvmyboys0208

Answer by luvmyboys0208 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Parties need: a fun place (if it's your house- rent a moon bouncer), if it's a pizza place (they pretty much take care of everything when it comes to timing the gifts and food)

I like doing parties at home because I like to decorate. Moon bouncers aren't too hard to rent, and you can choose one that matches your theme. To do a theme isn't too expensive either if you do it right. Pick a few colors that you want, and if you want a princess theme or whatever you can buy a few princess items, and the rest of your things can be simple to match the princess theme. Plates, forks, etc... can be wal-mart plates that are pink and blue.

When it comes to TIMING things.. start off serving food and you can start passing cake out after you finish eating.. while everyone is eating their cake you can start the unwrapping gifts.
    MrsNichols19

Answer by MrsNichols19 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 11, 2009