My daughter is 3 months old and I want to pierce her ears because everyone says it's better when they are young. BUT when I get there to do it I freak out because i don't want to put her in any unnecesarry pain. I want to do it though. Any advice on how to gett hrough it?

Mommy2Aundrea

Asked by Mommy2Aundrea at 7:07 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Someone anonymously posted that they wanted to let their child make the decision as to whether or not they wanted it done, which I feel may be a good idea.  But she then stated that when her child decided she wanted it done she said no. Not someone who you should get your advice from.

If you really want it done then have maybe your mother or someone else do it. My husband held my daughter on his lap when she got her ears pierced (at 3 months) and she only cried for a second. Less then when she gets shots. As far as taking care of her ears, if you don't buy cheap earrings it won't be a problem, it's just putting a little solution on them, faster and easier than changing a diaper.
    uniquecarper

Answer by uniquecarper at 9:17 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Just do it...the piercing happens so fast that she won't really feel the pain. My daughter was 4 months when I had her ears pierced and I found that she hated me holding her arms while the piercing was being done more than the actual piercing because she stopped crying once her ears where pierced and I let her arms go.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 7:28 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Get it done by a piercing specialist, not a piercing gun.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 7:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I pirced both of my daughters when they were 8 months old. They didnt mind much, but ow that they are 18 months and 3 years they take their earrings out all the time!! Just last week I had to just let my Daughters holes heal up, she lost one of her earrings and I think it took a few days for me to notice cause when I went to put another earring in it the hole was closed in the back! SO I'm just going to let her wait till she is a little older and decide.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 8:12 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Why don't you wait till she's older and make her own mind if SHE wants them or not. Its her body! Not yours! So why alter her body in anyway like that. Its not fair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I have two little girls - 4 yrs and 6 mos. I always told myself that when I had a baby I wanted to pierce her ears when she was a baby - but after having my 4 year old I decided against it. I believe when she is older she can make the decision herself. She has asked me now and I told her she has to wait until she older and can take care of them. She can't even clean her room - do I think she is really going to clean her ears? I was around 12 when I got mine done and I have sensitive ears so when I wore cheap earrings I know what the infections feel like. I say wait and let her decide when she is old enough to take care of them and old enough to make the decision herself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I got both my girls ears done at 6 weeks. They cried for a second... it was like when they go for their shots. If you are worried she may take them out then get screw on backs. They are harder to take off and hurt when you just try to pull the back off... I say go for it my girls have done just great and have told me they are glad I got their ears pierced when they were young so they wouldn't remember it
    mommyof4ormore

Answer by mommyof4ormore at 9:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I waited until my DD was old enough to make the decision herself. I had a really hard time when I got mine done and I did not want to have to deal with infections in a baby.

Not sure if this helps, you just have to do what is best for you and if you really want to get it done just do it. She will not remember.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Bring a bottle or paci if she takes them. Mine cried less than a minute. Just do it!
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I personally wait until my girls are old enough to choose on their own. It is painful, and if something is wrong, they can't tell you. I had a bad experience with it when I was little, so that is why I just let them choose when. Good luck!
    psyclady

Answer by psyclady at 9:44 AM on Jul. 17, 2008