Help me not be so . . . long sorry. . .

Okay ladies, I really need some help. This is my problem. I am so freaking superficial when it comes to my 14 month olds clothes. My MIL is a wonderful lady and is just the best granny. I am supposed to go visit my husband's family in two weeks. Since my husband is in WLC I am traveling alone. My mother has gone out and bought a car seat, pack and play, more age appropriate toys since the last time we where there she was only seven months. She bought two pairs of shoes, and ten outfits, as well as a stroller. She knows how it is traveling with infants and she wants to make it as easy on me as possible, which is so amazing.

continued

2-1CavWife

Asked by 2-1CavWife at 4:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• There is a reason you feel the way you do. If you want to change, you will need to think about it and figure out what happens when she isn't in fashionable clothing. Do you feel like you are a bad mother? That she doesn't measure up? (Is that how you were dressed by your mother or was that your way of getting attention, love, friendship?) You can get insight and it will help you. You can also look at this as an opportunity to teach your daughter. To be gracious when someone gives her a gift, whatever it is. To understand that grandparents are to be honored. If MIL is giving clothes that are clean and fit properly, have your child wear them while you are there. Peoples feelings and our relationships with our families are more important than the outfits. I can tell you already know this, you just need a little push to do the right thing. We all have to change when we become mothers.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• The problem is that I try to always make sure my daughter is in fashion. I do not put her in couture baby clothing , but I buy from the Gap and I have just bought her a whole mess of clothes and five pairs of new shoes (brining the total to 20 pairs, excessive to say the least) which are guess, kenneth cole, D&G just to name a few. continued . . .
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 4:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Maybe you shouldn't be so damn picky and accept the help. I'd love it if someone bought my daughter clothing! Ungrateful people piss me off!
    Anonymous

• I am freaking out because I want to pack all of her new clothes, but I don't want to offend my MIL by bringing them with me and not using what she has kindly bought for her grand baby. I absolutely hate that this is how I am, WTF is wrong with me? I know that it is wrong but I am going to project on my child and she is going to grow up being a snot, and I dont want that. Have any of you ladies had this problem. If not what would you do, to jog your self out of being such a snot?
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• sorry i agree with anon. my sons dad walked out and i work my a$$ off to buy my sons clothes at walmart, be thankful for the help and that your dd has anything to wear at all.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I am not ungrateful I genuinely know I have a problem and I am asking for advice. If I didnt appreciate what my MIL is doing I wouldn't even be asking. I want some constructive advice, I can insult myself enough thank you, and maybe you shouldn't be such a coward and post anon.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My dd has all brand name clothing. My mother bought her some stuff that I didn't like at all and I gave it to my friend who is having a baby and who is not as picky as I am. My dd has more clothes than she needs in the first place. Wear the clothes on her in front of your MIL and then when you get home, dress her as you like.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Thanks Bridget!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Mind you, my mother did buy her a christmas outfit when she was first born, so when I saw my mother this christmas, dd was wearing the outfit she bought to make her happy. The stuff she gave me at Christmas, I didn't like most of it, but she lives in Florida and will never know the difference anyway. Just because you already have nice stuff that you want to use, does not make you ungrateful if you don't want to put stuff you don't like on your chld . . . she didn't need it in the first place and its still brand new . . . you can give to someone who really needs it . . . look at it like that mama . . . just wear an outfit or two in front of MIL and the rest . . . donate.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I also agree with anon., my daughter's father was abusive and I've never received a dime from him to help out. My child is very sick so I miss a lot of work. Most of her clothes are bought from Goodwill, Craigslist and garage sales....
    Anonymous