Sudden VERY smelly Cat Poop - WHY???

My family adopted a kitten in October that was about 3 months old, so he is now about 6 months old. He was a pound pet, but when we adopted him they told us he had had all his shots and had been de-wormed. I haven't taken him to the vet myself yet because I didn't think there was any need.

This kitten is primarily an indoor kitten, but he has escaped outside a few times, once a couple of days ago.

Everything has been going fine. He was litter trained when we got him. His poop smelled a bit (it is poop after all), but nothing too terrible We cleaned the litter box in the morning and when we came home in the evening. It would smell a bit like a dirty diaper that had been sitting for a couple of hours, but it wasn't horrible.

This evening my son an I went to the store. We were gone for about 3 hours. When we got home, the house smelled terrible. Seriously, it smelled like an animal had been dead in our house for a week! The smell was coming from the litter box, but there wasn't anything we could see in it. I've dumped the littler out and replaced with whole new litter (annoying, since we had JUST changed his litter yesterday), but I didn't really see anything in the litter I dumped out. There weren't really any clumps.

What could have caused his poop to start stinking SO bad suddenly? Do I need to try to take him to the vet tomorrow? His nose does feel dry, but our weather has been getting colder lately and some sites say that might be causing the dry nose.

I'm not an experienced pet owner. I'm really not an animal person at all, but my son loves this cat. Help!

DDDaysh

Asked by DDDaysh at 10:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Cats should have dry noses, unless you're talking about it being cracked and bleeding or something (that kind of dry), so that I wouldn't worry about.

My first thought was worms. My second thought was it could just be his stomach maturing and cranking out some nastier poop. And my third thought is that of my 3 cats, they all have different smelling poop for eating the same thing!

Have you noticed worms? That they can get at any time. I've heard from even eating a dead fly, and if that is what it is, it is typically treated with a one time cheap pill the vet will give him if you take him. I don't know as I would rush to the vet over this quite yet though, unless another poster has a different insight/experience.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2011

• I guess the reason I'm worried is because it was so sudden. Wouldn't worms develop at least over a few days of getting smellier with each bowel movement? I really just don't know.
    DDDaysh

Comment by DDDaysh (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2011

• I don't know, maybe, maybe not. There are a few different kinds of worms, and the only ones my cats have ever had I could see in the poop or (and sorry for the TMI lol) hanging out around his butt. How is he acting otherwise? Still using the litter box? Normal behavior? I would call a vet and see if they sound concerned about it before taking him in for an official appointment.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2011

• Doesn't sound good,i'd have the pet checked too.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 1:30 AM on Dec. 10, 2011

• Maybe you could call your local humane society and ask them about it ....often they are glad to help and answer questions!
    Good Luck to you!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 9:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2011

• Thanks guys. I'm actually holding off on the vet for now (since their office is closed today), because the poop this morning (while still smelling worse than usual) is no where near as smelly as it was last night. I checked his stool and his bottom and didn't find any worms.

We had actually changed his food on Thursday. I hadn't thought anything about that though, because we were going from whatever the cheapest brand at our local dollar general store was, to Whiskas. I would have assumed whiskas was of better quality, so didn't think it could have been the cause. I think we're going to try to go back to the old food today and see if it helps.

I'm also going to ask Santa about it in a little bit just to make sure he doesn't think waiting would be a disaster!
    DDDaysh

Comment by DDDaysh (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2011

• It definitely could be the food. Wiskas is NOT a high quality brand. I would look into something like Chicken Soup, Diamond Naturals, or Kirkland Signature from Costco (if you have a membership & if they make a cat food...I'm not sure). These are all better quality brands that won't break the bank if you're on a tight budget. It would be better if you could switch to a grain-free food (if you can't feed raw or homecooked) such as Taste of the Wild or Orijen (Orijen is very expensive but worth it if you can afford it) as cats are obligate carnivores which means they need to be fed a meat based diet.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 11:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2011

• Is it nomally poop shaped or is it mushy? Loose stool means it didn't digest properly and that's why it's stinkier. I would guess that it's from a change in diet. Kittens bellies are still very sensitive so a change in diet will upset their digestive system. Plus the stuff they put in the cheap foods isn't exactly the healthiest for them and they can develop an intolerance to it. I'm actually dealing with this with one of my kitties who is about 6 months old. I need to head out to the pet store and pick up something else besides the kitten chow we've been giving the kittens. I took him to the vet last week and had them check his stool for worms, there were none. So diet change is next.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2011

• lol.. well Whiska's was high quality compared to the EverPet stuff we had been buying at Dollar General. I kind of live in the middle of nowhere, so unless I remember to buy it when I'm in the city, the shopping choices for pet food are Dollar General or the 50lb bags from the local feed store (which I have no place to keep). I kind of have a weird aversion to buying pet food when I'm buying people food at the grocery store. I don't really know why, I just do.

Ah well, I guess I've just found something else I need to order on Amazon.

DDDaysh

Comment by DDDaysh (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2011

• Alot of feed stores around here atleast do sell Diamond brands (Naturals, Chicken Soup, Taste of the Wild... anything but the regular Diamond is good...the regular line has corn, wheat, and/or byproducts). If they don't carry it, they may be willing to order it for you.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2011