How do I get her to wake up?

My daughter is 3 days old I am breastfeeding her. She will do it fine as long as I wait til she is ready but she only wakes up to eat every 4 hours. how do I get her to wake up every 2 like she should they told me when i left to make sure she ate every 2 hours because she was loosing to much weight. help

edgpag

Asked by edgpag at 5:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They always told me to have someone tickle her feet or stimulate her in some way while she's feeding. You might have to pull her off a lot and sit her up and wiggle her awake... if you didn't mention that your doc said to make sure she ate every 2 hours, though, I would have just said let her eat every 4 like she wants... I was told to bf on demand, whether it be every hour of every 4. Remember, though, she is only 3 days old and still tired from her recent trip out of your womb! In a day or 2 she should be more alert and feeding more often.
    How much weight did she lose? They are suppsosed to lose a little weight a few days after birth, but within 2 weeks gain it back.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• it sounds like you've got a sleepy eater on your hands!
    if she's having issues with weight gain then you should try to wake her every 2 hours to eat, at least.
    a great way to keep her awake is to undress her. skin to skin contact can stimulate babies to nurse more or for longer.
    also, when she falls alseep at the breast you can do hand expressions. sometimes when babies fall asleep while they are still latched then they will continue to nurse.

continued...
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• ...
    you can even try dabbing her with a damp washcloth or tickling her feet in order to keep her awake.

my first was a very sleepy eater and as a result she was also a little slow to regain her birthweight. you're doing a good job, just hang in there and nurse, nurse, nurse! :)

you also might want to check with your local la leche league. http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Mine was also a sleepy eater, it was like my boob leaked sedatives . . . lol . . . . I know it sounds cruel, but it the ONLY thing that worked for me . . . . . I usually had a can of soda or tea and I woluld touch her feet with it . . . it worked and not as "shockingly" as you think it would have.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/waking_a_sleepy_baby.shtml

Here is an article that should help immensely.

Anonymous