How do I re-teach a two year old how to fall asleep on his own?

I have a 25 month old who easily went to sleep up until he turned two. For the last three months, he has refused to go to sleep on his own and will not stay in his bed. He immediately crawls out of bed and screams. In fact, he has even learned how to throw up when he becomes hysterical. It's impossible to leave him in his room and let him cry himself to sleep. I have to stay in his room until he falls asleep on my lap. Then I quietly put him in his bed. Bedtime is usually around 7:45p and takes an average of 20 minutes for him to fall asleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to keep putting him back in the bed. Yes, he's going to throw a fit- which is always worse for us parents than the child.
    It's not immpossible to leave him in there and let him cry- you just don't want to. Deal with it for a few night and he will eventually learn.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Do you have a bedtime routine. It might work trying to read a story to him while he is in bed, You still will prolly have to put him back to bed a couple times.
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My son is 24 months and we had to tackle this problem a couple of months ago.  My son had never put himself to sleep and I used my own version of the Supernanny technique.  We have a routine that includes rocking chair, bedtime stories, potty, brushing teeth, and lullabies.  My son is in a toddler bed.  When it was time to go to sleep, I kissed him goodnight and sat next to his bed for a few nights.  Each time he got up, I silently returned him to his bed without a word.  I put him back in his bed and sat back down.  It took 50 times, no kidding, that first night.  The next night we did the same thing, except I sat across the room in the rocking chair.  That night, it took about 25 times.  The next night, same routine, except I stood in the doorway.  continued ....

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 8:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• That was a little harder and we were back up close to 50 times. The next night, I was still standing in the doorway, and he got it that this was not going to change and only got up about 15 times. Very surprisingly, there was no crying, tantrums, yelling, or screaming because I was present and he felt safe. I was stubborn and determined, both of which paid off big time. From that night, and beyond, he did not get out of bed once. After a week total, I didn't have to stand in the doorway. The only problem we have now is that he likes to ask to use the potty, and that can stall bedtime really well, lol!

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 8:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2009