We're visiting Washington, DC in June. My kids are 10 and 8. We want to stay in a hotel that is convenient to the sites and which has a pool. Do you have any recommendations?

2kids2go

Asked by 2kids2go at 3:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Travel

• We lived outside of DC for several years...to find a hotel near attractions is going to be pricey. You should call the chamber of commerce there...they will have loads of info. DC is the Best!!! Please see the Holocaust Museum while you are visiting...it is life changing!!! If you do stay outside of DC the metro can be easily accessed and it is cheap to ride. Driving in DC is an absolute nightmare. We always dumped the car and took the metro in. Gosh, I am sooo jealous! The natual gallery is also something not be be missed. If ya want more info or advice just PM me...I would be glad to help. Have a great time.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 4:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Find a hotel within walking distance to a metro station...this way you can be "outside" of DC but still be close to everything. Get a daily pass to the Metro and have it take you wherever you want to go. It is very easy to navigate. You might want to look into the tourist mobiles like the one out of Arlington Cemetery. They take you all over DC and you can get off and on as you wish. If you stay outside of DC, stay in VA or Montgomery County of MD. If you stay within DC, stay in Northwest.
    TandC

Answer by TandC at 9:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• DC is a wonderful place to take the kids! My absolute favorite place to stay is the Embassy Suites. There is one north of the Lincoln Memorial on or near 23rd Street. Here are a few reasons why...you get 2 rooms and with kids the extra space is wonderful! Cook to order breakfast is included for the family with the room (EASY $30 value for a family in DC) AND there is an indoor pool! Doesn't matter what the weather you guys CAN go swimming in your down time! Across the street you can catch the metro and ride to all the sights. There is also a tour bus stop across the street. If you need something extra the hotel staff is great about getting you to the right place.

There is so much to do in DC and SO much of it is FREE. Must sees for your kids & you would be the Air and Space, Holocaust, Arlington, White House, Capitol, oh I can go on. Just see and do as much as you can. Be prepared to park your car and pay a daily parking fee if you do drive into the city.
    WildHouseOfBoys

Answer by WildHouseOfBoys at 10:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008