Rolling over and holding his head up

My son in almost 19 weeks old and he has been in daycare since he was 8 weeks old. Apparently, they never worked with him at all with rolling over or anything. I just became a SAHM this week and noticed how behind he is in day to day activities. He was 5 weeks early, so I thought maybe it just took him a little longer and its not that I didnt pay attention before, but he just didnt seem this bad. So now, I am trying to work with him on both but he just gets mad and I don't want to overwork him. Any tips please????

saraguajardo

Asked by saraguajardo at 5:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies catch up very quickly when given the opportunity to develop. Give him plenty of time on his tummy while you encourage him to try to roll over. At times I would roll my children over and praise them. My daughter was very smart with her kids, she gave them tummy time every afternoon extending the time they were on the stomachs as they increased tolerance to the new position.

My other daughter let the babysitter keep her first daughter strapped in a a car seat until the baby was 9 months old. I mentioned that the baby was becoming a little over weight do to inactivity. After putting her on her tummy on the floor, she began crawling within a weeks time.

Lots of TLC and one-on-one work wonders.
    chocolateroses

Answer by chocolateroses at 5:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• hes a baby dont push him into do things he doesnt want to do...babies milestones are different and have a wide range. i read in an article or through one of those things they send in the mail. dont worry
    SummerMom072208

Answer by SummerMom072208 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• i wouldn't worry to much about it. my son was VERY stubborn. not only did he not roll over unil he was about 4 months he refused to look to the left so his head was flat on one side for a long time. lol. he didnt crawl until he was 11 mos. Now hes almost two and running, jumping and climbing just like everyone else. Don't push him, hell do it when he's ready.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• He's technically only 3 months old, so remember to cut him some slack, I hear a lot of three month olds aren't rolling over.. Although holding his head up he should have been doing a long time ago- I'd talk to a doctor about that, personally..

There isn't really anything you need to do, though- when you need to go pee, put him on the floor on a towel in the bathroom.. When you need to take the laundry to the washing machine, put him on the floor.. He may not like it, but these are times you need to put him down, anyway.. Other than that, I wouldn't really force the issue.. I'm not really sure how you "teach" a baby to roll over or hold their heads up.. It's a pretty normal learning process that one learns on their own.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2009