abc and 123 and so on

ok my dd is going to be 3 march 21 and she has yet to learn her abc all the way. i try working with her everyday while the other kids are napping any suggestion on how to help her learn it?

shaynaj

Asked by shaynaj at 5:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Flash cards, reading, V-Smile, singing.

Answer by gemgem at 5:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I bought an ABC cd for my daughter, she really enjoyed singing along to the songs and by the time she was two she knew her alphabet. I have a cd for numbers too but that one doesn't get as much use. My LO can only count to 17 so far.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 5:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Flash cards are great, my daughter is learning how to read fast because of them.. sing the abc song to her whenever you think about it.. she'll catch on QUICK! Good luck!!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Leap Frog makes some great learning toys that are appropriate for her age. Also V-Tech is great too. My son had a V-Tech ABC's School Bus and he loved it and learned from it. Another suggestion is watching Sesame Street.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Most kids just turning 3 don't know them. Are you talking about having her recite them or actually recognize them all? Big difference there.

Watch Super Why on PBS kids...it's a great show for early reading and letter recognition. Flashcards, magnets for the frige, etc. Don't be too pushy about it. She'll learn.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Leap Frog makes fridge magnets that are great. They can get annoying after a while, but kids love them. My dd and the little girl I baby sat could play with them forever and sing along with them
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 6:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Building blocks! Reading books! Pointing out signs when you're out and about!

Label, label, label! Even letters.

My boys loved their building blocks. Just the cube ones with letters and numbers on them.

OH!! And they have these foam letters for the bath tub that stick to the wall when wet! Those are great for bath time!

It's all about play. And don't worry about the order...that comes later! My 2 year old recognizes all of his letters but doesn't have a clue about their order!

Not to mention...there are 4 year olds in preschool who don't know all of their letters! Don't sweat it! Relax and let it happen....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I got one of those abc's puzzles, and he learned them right quick. Also, repeating things over and over again daily. V-tech, leapfrog all make great learning devices for the kids. Way too many to list.
    lilsteven

Answer by lilsteven at 7:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Starfall.com She may be young for the site, but you could try the ABC section together. As a K teacher, she is still very young. You don't want to push the activitiesso that she does NOT want to participate with you. You can try pudding painting the letters, making the letters out of play dough, and lots of what the other moms said.  I still get lots of children who don't know the entire alphabet by recognition--the song is a start, but that does not mean they know the letters.  We begin with letter naming and then the sounds in my district.  Some do it together.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Just read to her and point out words for things you encounter every day - signs, shopping, games, whatever. Let HER decide when she's ready to learn the abc's and 123's! Expose her to them, but don't push them. And don't think she needs to be on a time-line to learn - if she's not interested, don't push. If she is interested, then follow-through. Be patient, she has YEARS of learning ahead of her, make sure it starts out fun for her!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2009