Does anyone have or had an IUD (birthcontrol) ?

I have the 10 year non hormonal IUD for about 1 1/2 years now. I just wanted to know if any of you have any side effects after getting it. Also how often you went in for an IUD check-up at the Doctors? I get really bad cramps before I start my period and have really heavy bleeding for 3-4 days.

carrievang3987

Asked by carrievang3987 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Health

• i have mirena so its different. ive had no side effects with mine. my dr. checks mine at my annual appt. every year.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I have had nothing but problems with mine. Ever since I got it I have had THE worst cramping and seriously heavy periods. Not only heavy periods, but it has gotten so bad that I have been bleeding for 3 weeks now!! But, my GYN is looking into the fact that it might be because I have fibroids and the IUD is pushing on them (so it might be causing the terrible cramping and heavy bleeding) so they are looking into my options. So, my case might be different than yours...I'm not sure. Good luck with yours though!! I hope it gets better for you!! :)
    Anonymous