Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Buyer in 2008

I heard that we get back a lot more money for taxes if we bought a home in 2008. Is this true? Or does anyone understand how it works or what we get back?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (5)
  • IDK... but that would be awesome! since I bought a house in 2008 :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • But I hear it is only from April 9 2008 on.....GUESS WHEN I BOUGHT MINE????? Freaking March 31 2008, Now what??/?

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • great. I buy a house once in my life and miss out on an amazing rebate lol >:(

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • It's $7500, but it is not free money. If you bought a house from April 2008 until I think it's June 2009 you can get the money. You can file with your taxes or if you've already filed, you can file an amendment.

    It is not free do pay it back at about $500 per year from your tax return each year. You have to own the house for so long, but there are clauses allowing you to get out of repayment in certain cases. (I don't remember what they are, though)

    That's what I've read, anyway...

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • You get up to $7500 only if you are a First Time Home Buyer. You do have to pay it back though...$500 a year.

    Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 7:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.