chest pain

Ok so I KNOW none of us are doctors lol, but I still have a question. Go ahead and tell me to go to my non-existant doc lol, but please also give your advice :) My chest has been killing me. I wonder if it's my heart,because it's only on the left side where I figure my heart is. But it could also be my lung because I smoke (nasty habit, trying to quit) but why wouldn't both lungs hurt? It's like a vice is slowly squeezing it (heart lung whatever) and just constant pressure. I'm not very old (25) so I don't think it's a heart attack lol, not overweight (bmi's a bit high but not too bad.) ok any mammas have any ideas? thanks in advance for NOT bashing for my smoking (hint hint)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Health

• Does it hurt more when you breath in and does it radiate towards your back?

Just a thought that it could be pleurisy (fluid). Very common and can cause pressure/pain in the chest or even in the lungs.

Otherwise, if it continues to bother you or you get worse then I would seek medical treatment at the ER. (pay later)

Best wishes.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Hi, I had a heart attack May 22nd 2007. I was 27 years old, and a heavey smoker. I only had chest pains for about three weeks before the actual attack. I ended up having quadruple bypass. Chest (as in, heart) pain can be different for everyone, but crushing pain that gets worse with exercise should warrant an ER visit. Don't play around with chest pain!!!! I am permanently disabled due to complicatons from that surgery, which could have been prevented if I had just taken better care of myself and gotten seen sooner!!!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• How about a pulmonary embolism or pleurisy? Costocondritis or a cracked rib? You have to give a lot more information to get anything but wild guesses. And some of us are doctors but we couldn't diagnose you without a physical exam to gather the rest of the story.
    Anonymous

• Go to the ER for goodness sakes! They won't deny you care and you'll be lucky enough to have the rest of your life to pay for it if there is something seriously wrong.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Thanks for keeping this pretty civil ladies. It usually hurts in "bursts." I will be fine but then it starts hurting for an hour or two, eases up and starts again. Nothing really triggers it that I know, but I'm always running, not literally but I rarely sit down. I'm very sorry to hear that mammapotter! That is a sobering thought. I know I *should* visit the er, but it would be selfish of me to go for something so minor. I know chest pain is not "minor" really, but if I start getting dizzy, tingling on left side or blurred vision, I will immediately go. I know there might be docs on here lol :) But every time I see ?'s like this I'm like ok yeah we're not doctors, try webmd. But it is slightly more comforting to hear well take this with a grain of salt, but it sounds like --------- which I have and if so you might expect such and such symptoms/treatment. Thanks again ladies
    Anonymous

• Acid reflux can cause terrible chest pain, and you are definately not too young for that. And it likes to get smokers too, take it from one who knows. I'm 33, and I only ever had heartburn (severe) durning my pregnancies, and I was treated for it by my OBGYN. Well, imagine my surprise after a bout with severe stomach, well actually it was esophageal bleeding, this summer that it was revealed in an endoscopy that I have permanebt damage to my esophagus most likely due to acid reflux disease, which now gives me a 1 in 200 chance of getting esophageal cancer. GREAT :( Still upset about this. I have however complained for years to my docotrs about chest pain, tingling, sinus issues, night time cough,etc., and none seemed to come up with a diagnosis that they make all the time, oh and my smokers cough is gone now too, and I am working on quitting too. Ask about it, seriously.
    groovegal

Answer by groovegal at 11:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2009