How soon do you start a garden?

I am looking to start a garden, veggies, flowers, herbs and I have zero experience. I was wondering how soon do you start, if you start from seeds or from small plants. Any advice would be great.

cgsmom

Asked by cgsmom at 7:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• depends on the plant, and your area. The most general rule is to plant shortly after the last frost in your area. A lot of things can be just seed-planeted, but tomatoes, for example, are usually bought as small plants and transferred to your garden, You should google the different things you want in your garden.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• It really depends on where you live, I am in WY so we don't plant anything till after Mothers Day. I have to look for veggies with a shorter growing time. Tomatoes I buy already started.  I have never liked to start seed indoors, have never had luck doing it.

40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 9:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I see you are in Colorado. Get a copy of the Sunset Western Garden Book.
    VERY helpful!
    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Garden-Book-Sunset/dp/0376039167/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231652929&sr=8-1

It has detailed info for the western regions, which plants will do well in YOUR area, etc.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2009