How much money can I start with for savings?

I'd would like to save my money here at home, I know I should open an account but I don't have time. but extra change...lol

What like 10.00 dollars 20 dollars...what do you think.
I thinking about just dropping it in a tea container and tape it up and make a small slit on the lid and never open it until it gets heavy...lol Is that a good idea???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• Honestly, I save change in a jar, and it adds up quicker than you know or realize. We pay cash for everything, so every time we go to the store, I pay cash, I get the change, and just put it all in the jar. I don't touch it, because I don't want to. I want to save it, and it adds up quickly. In the matter of 3 weeks I had saved $40!! It doesn't sound like a lot, I know, but it was all change! I saved it up for a while, and it gave us some nice spending money for a trip we took. I say, if that's what is going to work for you, then sure, why not, do it =)
    Anonymous

• If that's what will work for you, do it. I'd be too tempted to break into it when I wanted cash, though. It works better for me to have a separate ING savings account.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I love my ING savings account as well.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• depends on the bank....usually you can open an account with $50 to $100
    JStinich

Answer by JStinich at 10:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I completely agree with opening an ING savings account. It was the only way I could ever get money saved because it's not as easily accessable. I don't believe there is any min. requirement to open. I only had like $25 to start and set it up to take 20 per check into savings. After a while I increased it to $30, then $50. Out of sight out of mind. If you just stick it in a jar, you will end up dipping into it and not saving anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Whatever you can save pay to pay. Even if it's 5.00. You can open an account that will help you gain a little interest, not much but something. Some accounts require a certain amount to start while others do not. U.S. Bank will let you open one with no minimum required. Your idea is good also.
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2009