How can we ever expect our govt to work together when we can't even have a civil discussion with someone who believes differently?

Why is it that so many who are opposites in political beliefs seem to feel the need to be rude, condescending and insulting to each other? I am a Liberal Democrat but have a few friends who are Conservative/Republican and we are able to have polite intelligent discussions and learn from each other. Keeping things respectful while still disagreeing.

I am disheartened by the divisions in our country and people. I don't understand why some think that others who are different are automatically bad.

We are all people with many of the same feelings, needs and goals.

Does insulting people who believe differently than you really help things any?

Or does it just make one feel better about themselves?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 7:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• WELL SAID FRIDAY...........
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I agree. This site really shows me the worst of both sides. My political views put me in the minority in my workplace. Yet, my coworkers and I never disrespect each other and try to understand each other's views. Here it seems like when you disagree with someone you are either a liar or an idiot. It's a shame.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I agree, I think its easier to be rude to people when we can behind the computer screen, and more so when we can do it under anonomous.
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• AMEN, SISTER! I have experienced this very thing several times this week. Someone asked a question requesting others' opinion on random things and when anyone answered with something that was, I assume, different from the question poster's opinion, they went on to let those people know how ignorant they were.

HHMMM... It would've been easier for the question poster to just say, thanx, but when I want your opinion, I'll give it to ya!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• well said, Friday.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• It makes people feel better to believe they have higher standards than others around them. Morally superior. Does it help to bash others and their opinions? No. Although I have to say, as open as I am, there are some "opinions" I will not tolerate. Racism is one. Say what you want about a person - but don't include the ethnicity nor attach untrue and negative stereotypes as scare tactics. Friday, I have enjoyed all of your posts I have seen so far. Despite not always being on the same page, I always look forward to it when I see it is you. There are several like that. Then there are others who I cringe and have resigned myself to not even bother reading a post or thread that that person has either started or is actively in the throws of a heated discussion.  I do this for relaxation not to get my blood pressure up.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• We are all people with many of the same feelings, needs and goals. >>>>>>

That's the truth and I have never understood a sports fan mentality where politics are concerned. We all occupy the same space and we all thrive or suffer together in this country, our elected officals should be supported by all citizens in this country whether we voted for them or not because their success is vital to all of us.

Love your Republican friend :P
    KC33

Answer by KC33 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• people just don't seem to stop and try to see things from the other person's point of view, and refuse to hear what other people are saying. my friends and I are have Liberal views, but we'll listen to what a Conservative has to say and politely explain why we feel differently, it's not fair if you argue a person's views based on a stereotype
    sophiebethmom

Answer by sophiebethmom at 1:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I can agree to a point Friday, It does come from both sides. When you are dealing with Politics & people feel as strongly as they do , they will get angry. I don't believe that bashing is the way to go but tempers have a right to flare when they feel unsafe or what have you ...

I jusy try & stay out of it because I witnessed enough "hatred" during the election. I need a break, lol.
    fayesmommy

Answer by fayesmommy at 9:00 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I don't think some people understand what Debating the issues is all about.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2009