• In the Spotlight:

How do you feel about Pastors that preach but don't practice?

How can a man of God, preach the Word of God, while his pregnant girlfriend he lives with sits among the congregation? I don't get this? Yes, God forgives, but to allow a man to preach the 10 commandments to a congregation, yet openly doesn't practice them to me is hypocritical!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I guess the practice what you preach doesn't apply to some.... this is my problem with some christians (not all, there are a lot of good people out there)... but some people believe that if they sin, and were saved, that they have a get out of jail free card as long as they ask for forgiveness from their lord... I don't believe in that... if you do right, and end up messing it, it should be your job to go out there and make it right. Not to just ask to be forgiven for it and it will go away like a bad secret. It I was that pastor, I would openly say that I have sinned and I will wed my gf, and resign... that would of been the right thing for him to do as a christian.. ex.. (i'm not christian) but if I were to break my mom's favorite vase, not only would I apologize, I would be sure I replace it and take her out somewhere to show how sorry I really was.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• its no more hypocritical for him, than it is for us to sit under them, taking it all in, say 'amen!'..then do the same, or equal to. sin is sin, no matter what position you occupy in the church/congregation/family of God. yes, he's the 'leader of the flock', and should lead by example, but so should the flock, as our lives are testimonies, as well.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I can understand how you feel. The best thing to do is let God take care of them and you live the best you can according to your convictions. If this goes against what you can tolerate, find another church where you can feel more comfortable.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• pastors are not perfect, no one is.

now, if he were to give a sermon on how it's evil to have sex before you are married or to have children out of wedlock, I'd look differently at him. probably stop going to the church too.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you should preach anything that your not practicing.
    If he does not preach about fornication before marriage then there is nothing wrong with that.
    Anonym0us

Answer by Anonym0us at 8:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• But it doesn't change the Scriptural fact that pastors/priests/preachers are called to a higher standard of conduct. Yes, we all sin, our spiritual leaders included, but to continue blatantly in sinful behavior, with no action to change that behavior, automatically precludes him from the ministry.

He needs to step down.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 8:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Openly living a life of sin.......nonrepentant (which means to turn away from) he should not be in a ministry position.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Redteux "continue blatantly in sinful behavior" sorry but I don't follow how him keeping the pregnant girlfriend is continuing. Would he be a better man to dump her so he can continue preaching? For all we know, he may have plans to marry the girl.
    Anonymous

• colleen - same question to you - Would he be a better man to dump her? I don't think having a pregnant girlfriend is something you can just stop. unless you are for abortion... but I'm gonna assume you don't...
    Anonymous

• He could marry her....it would be the right thing. If she were to refuse then he should support the child.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2009