Inducing Labor

I'm 39 weeks today and have an induction date set for Monday, since I'm on blood thinners... My doctor is using Pitocin to induce labor, I'm about 1 centimeter dilated, 50 percent thinned out, and I lost my mucus plug. I've been reading about Pitocin and I'm not sure I want to do it anymore... sounds like a big risk. Am I able to try the sex thing to induce labor at this point, being dilated and no mucus plug.... is it safe?

CocoB22

Asked by CocoB22 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sex is safe until your water breaks. I've been induced using pitocin twice and will be induced again in about a week. It can cause more powerful contractions. My inductions couldn't have gone smoother (thankfully!) I understand being nervous about it -- definitely do whats best for you! Good luck Momma and congrats in advance!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 7:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• i went though the same thing as the other lady i had no problems and my son didnt either and i plan to be induced with this one also we live so far from the hp the hp that is near us doesnt deliver babies. good luck
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I was induced at 36 weeks. I was also 1 cm. They started pictocin at 8am and he was born before 6pm after a very easy labor. My doctor broke my water around 11and the contractions didn't get really noticeable until maybe 1 or 2 that afternoon. Good luck!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Pitocin isn't the every mom-to-be's best friend, exactly. But women must weigh risks. IF there is a health complication that you are working with then Pit may have it's place. Mom always gets the say, it's her choice.
    If you don't want to do it then know the risks for continuing pregnancy. For most, awaiting spontaneous labor is safest.

You can try the home remedies~ they might work, or maybe not. Just take really good care of yourself!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• i am not sure how blood thinners effect pregnancy/labor, but I would keep educating myself on medical interventions.

I did not have pitocin, and hope I never do. Your uneasiness may be a warning sign to follow.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2009