How do I know if I'm overfeeding my baby at the breast?

She used to take 50 min., so I try to make sure she feeds that long, but now she seems to spit up a lot of milk.

Kmartinson

Asked by Kmartinson at 7:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does she try to stop before they 50 minutes is up? If she is then she's probably not hungry anymore. As baby get older they get more efficient at getting the milk out, so it may not take as long for her to get the same amount. If she seems like she wants to stop then let her. If she is still hungry, she'll let you know.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Feed on demand, as much as your baby needs. Don't look at the clock. Babies eat by how full their tummies are, not what time it is.
    As she's getting bigger she is able to take milk more effectively- she may not need to nurse as long.. Or sometimes she may need the comfort of breast, so may stay on longer.
    You cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. Our milk is designed for baby- it changes each feeding, and within feedings. When baby is just munching for comfort, it turns more watery.
    Don't worry about spit up- it's normal. My first wasn't a pukey baby, but my second seems to go through spurts where she pukes a lot, and then none for weeks at a time.. Often your own diet can contribute to this.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 7:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• liyoness put it well!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Make sure you allow her to nurse as long as she likes on the first breast before offering the second. If she is full after only one breast that is fine. Watch your baby, not the clock. Sometimes she may nurse a long time, other times short, sometimes only one breast other times both breasts. Just follow her lead and you will both do great!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• my doc and many books say it is impossble to over feed a breast feed baby. ur baby controls everything, the flow and the amount. sometimes ur baby will suck for comfort. a bottle feed baby cannot do that obviously so they tend to eat more than a breast fed baby.
    SummerMom072208

Answer by SummerMom072208 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Most of the time they don't overfeed.
    But if she is using you for comfort (kind of like a pacifier) she might be eating more than her tummy can take.
    Watch the kind of suck she is doing. Nice long sucks of usually to eat. Short sucks when she is kind of sleepy or very relaxed might be more like pacifing sucks. I usually take my son of the breast when he starts this because for me, those types of sucks hurt.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Just feed on demand. Your baby will know when she's ready to stop. :)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2009