Ok, now I'm curious...

What in the world is meant by "regulations" that the military has on adopting a child?

joy2bamom

Asked by joy2bamom at 7:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Adoption

• the crap you have to go through is what that means you know that kinda stuff like stand on your head and wait while some slow butt person has the paper work on their desk they just aint got nothing better to do than make you wait. lol
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• AMen!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• But no really, we couldn't put Bryson on our insurance since we are doing it privately. I didn't even know that.
    Also, military does not have FMLA like other "jobs" where you can just use that for adoption reasons. They made my dh work when Bryson was born. Now, really, they didn't *have* to let him go, but they coul;d've. His sgt doesn't like him and said he couldn't go. (a few weeks after a fellow employee went to be with his gf who went into labor with her baby, baby not his and the same sgt approved it). Luckily they got off work early and he made it 30 minutes before he came into the world!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Military regulations govern military personnel. That is a technical definition. They are basically a set doctrine that tells you what you must follow. For example, the adoption regulation regulation states what you have to do to get reimbursement from the military, what forms you have to fill out for Tricare to cover them, it also states how much leave a military member would get for adoption purposes. For example, you can get 21 days "free" leave....meaning leave that is not taken out of your yearly balance. It also states once the 21 days are up, you can extend that leave(if your commander authorizes it), but that leave is taken off of your balance.
    animalcarespc

Answer by animalcarespc at 9:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Each branch of service has their own regulations. For adoption, it is Department of Defense wide....meaning it applies to all branches of service. I believe off the top of my head one of the ones on adoption is DODI 1349.9. If you have a supportive chain of command, it goes alot smoother. Fortunately, I have a very supportive commander. If you are military, I still suggest printing out the regulations and highlighting important parts when you let your chain of command know your plans. Many commands do not see adoption everyday so they are not familiar with what is allowed and what is not. Babycakes254, I'm going to PM you about them not letting you put your baby on Tricare as my second adoption was through an attorney.
    animalcarespc

• Oops...its 1341.9. I got my numbers mixed up
    animalcarespc

Answer by animalcarespc at 9:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I am not at all sure about adoption in the military. But I am sure, like other aspects of the military, there is just a ton of bureaucracy and how smooth or ruff depends on who is supporting you and how quickly paper work slides across all the desks it needs to go. I used to have to bill Tricare and I can tell you it was no picnic. To be honest, I don't think I would want to be on Tricare provider list as a private practitioner due to all the hassle. Not because I don't want to provide services to those in our armed forces or military, but because along with the hassle came times when reimbursement did not always come for services rendered.  And after dealing with VA issues I cannot imagine how hard it would be to go through an adoption process without the support from the commanding officers.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009