low weight

I took my 1year old daughter to the Dr. the other day and he told me that she was under weight so i don't know what to do if there is anything to do but freak out. I need advise from anyone

tabatha424

Asked by tabatha424 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how much does she weigh
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My oldest was always below the chart, and she probably still is (12 years old, over 5 ft. tall and only about 75 pounds). She has always been very healthy, just thin, which is not a terrible thing. Unless your doctor said something to make you believe it's more than just being a little skinny, I wouldn't worry too much. You can try adding extra calories to her food by adding butter or cheese. If it's really bothering you, call the doctor's office and ask them to explain it more and tell you if you should be worried or doing anything special.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 7:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• do you bottle feed? If so, add an extra scoop in a couple of bottles throughout the day.
    Anonymous

• I see from your profile she was a preemie. I would think her doctor would be keeping a pretty close watch on her growth and development. Was it your regular doctor who knows she was a preemie? Did the doctor say she is underweight for her adjusted age? If it was your regular doctor and he didn't seem concerned enough to give you advice on what you need to do to help her gain weight, then it sounds like she probably isn't too much underweight for her adjusted age. I really think if the doctor was concerned he would have given you a lot of suggestions for helping her gain weight.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 8:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Our pediatrician told me the same thing about my son at 18 months because he had grown two inches and lost five ounces over three months.  He stayed in the 22-pound range from 15 to 22 months, but grew four inches.  Finally, I was told to give him high calorie/high fat foods, not junk, but whole fat milk and yogurt, butter his veggies and waffles, and add olive oil to anything I could, like pasta.  He also said that I needed to limit his milk intake to three times a day and not let him have milk on demand.  This worked and he went from 22 lbs. 8 oz. to 23 lbs. 11 oz. by his next weight check!  Why they didn't tell me these things at 18 months when it first started, I don't know, but he's fine, healthy, and gaining now.  Check with your doctor and she if she/he recommends this as well.

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 8:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• If you doctor didn't advise you to bulk her up, don't worry. My son was pretty low weight until he started eating "regular" food - then he just blossomed. Just concentrate on feeding her healthy food, no added sugar, healthy oils/fats (avocados are great toddler food!). Just focus on healthy foods.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• All kids grow differently. My oldest has always been small for her age. She was 7lbs at birth but at around 3 months stopped gaining a lot of weight. At 1 she was only 18lbs. She didn't hit 20lbs until 18 months and at 2 was still 20lbs. She's 8 1/2 now and only weighs 40lbs and is considered underweight but I refuse to stuff high fat foods in her face. She eats healthy (meat, carbs and veggies) she just has a high metabolism. I hate weight charts.
    Then again her doctor has never really been worried about it. As long as she eats healthy and isn't losing weight then she is fine.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I agree COMPLETELY with justanotherjen. My daughter was always small and they wanted to put her though a ton of tests...i let them do some non-invasive stuff and she was fine. They actually suggested I feed her high fat foods and I'm NOT setting her up to be unhealthy later in life. I mean I give her full fat milk and don't use reduced fat yogurts or anything with her, but I'm not adding butter and junk to her diet for the sake of a couple pounds. Use your judgment...if she is getting enough to eat and drink and the food is nutritious, that is what you need to be focused on. Remember, doctors aren't god...they don't know everything...their word is advice only.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• If you have a preemie they should go on adjusted charts. We are on an adjusted chart, they chart him on both charts but the adjusted is what we go by. My 21 month old is not even 23 pds and he has been 22 pds for what seems life ever. He loves bread so I started adding peanut butter to bread and letting him have that for a snack. I would ask what chart they are using if they are staying in their own curve then usually there is no worry.
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2009