What are the chances? She's only 20+ weeks...

My friend is only 20 sumthing weeks and today her water broke ;( . she went to the hospital and they told her the baby's lung are not fully develop...there giving her sum type of steroids I guess to speed up the process...my question is what is the chances of the baby surviving since in sooo early for him to be born?

thank you and please pray for her...

onedaysoon5

Asked by onedaysoon5 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if she is over 28 weeks there is a good chance
    or that is wut my doc told me
    i hope everything works out fine
    update plz when u know something
    Anonymous

• well if she holds out and they are able to get alot of the meds in good chance the baby is 2 to 3 lbs and i have a friend they tried forever to have a baby and they went though the same thing you friend is and i saw them at the dr the other day he is a little smaller than my son and doesnt have is much hair but it is in Gods hands tell her we are praying for her and good luck.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• what about 23 weeks into your pregnancy?? is there a chance at all?
    Katiebears89

Answer by Katiebears89 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Thank you!! God is good and he has it under control...she's do sometime at the end of april...she's been goin thru a lot with this pregnancy..she's a diabetic and her sugar is always so low...I hope that everything turns out for the best!

Thank you again!
    onedaysoon5

Answer by onedaysoon5 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Sometimes women do have early ruptures like that... ("pPROM") It's the addition of contractions that are scary then. Her bag might re-seal or continue to leak. That happens.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Completed Weeks of Gestation at Birth
    (Using last menstrual period)
    Survival Chart
    21 weeks and less 0%
    22 weeks 0-10%*
    23 weeks 10-40%
    24 weeks 40-70%
    25 weeks 50-80%
    26 weeks 80-90%
    27 weeks >90%
    30 weeks >95%
    34 weeks >98%

Rupture of the fetal membranes before 24 weeks of gestation with loss of amniotic fluid markedly decreases the baby's chances of survival even if the baby is delivered much later.
    In the smallest infants, gestational age is usually most important because it determines if the infant's organs, particularly the lungs, have developed enough to allow the baby to live within the limits of our current technology. Your baby's doctor will be able to give you the best estimate of your infant's chances since he/she can take into consideration many of the above factors. But, no estimate is perfect. Some babies suddenly get sick and die unexpectedly; others defy all odds.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• my mothers friends son girlfriend gave birth at 5 1/2 months baby was in hospital for almost 4 months after but he almost a yr old now and he is doing just fine so there is hope
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 11:56 AM on Jan. 11, 2009