How many hours total should a four month old be sleeping in a 24 hour period?

My four month old (though he was 5 weeks premature) seems to sleep ALOT. Like probably 18 hours a day. Is that normal?

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Normal, yes...in fact, it is healthy. A recent study that I heard about showed that infants who sleep over 12 hours a day are twice as less likey to become obese during childhood. Children grow more when they are asleep, so rest is needed for proper growth and development. I say count yourself lucky your little one is so peaceful!
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• LOL peaceful, not quite. He is very colicky, but has just started sleeping for longer than 4 hours at a time. It makes for a very nice break for our sanity. Thanks for the info! It puts my mind at ease!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• haha dont worry my 5 month old is the same way when i am home on the weekends i can watch her a full day and i get very upset bc she's always sleeping. my mom who noramlly watches her while im working nvr gives her enough sleep so when bed time rolls round she nvr sleeps bc she is so tired. babies around this age normall are good for only an hour and take a nap
    SummerMom072208

Answer by SummerMom072208 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Yes!! Babies grow while they're sleeping. My daughter LOVES to sleep, she'll sleep 14 hours at night and still take 2 3 hour naps during the day. And that's awake a lot for her,
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2009