How do I get my 2 year old to stop "chugging" drinks?

She can down a whole sippy cup in literally 30 seconds! This leads to phlegm and her spitting that up and leaky diapers. We've tried telling her to "take breaks" and she just gets mad to the point where we have to tell her to drink and tell her to stop until the drink is gone. This is getting REALLY old. How can we break this cycle????

Violin_Mom

Asked by Violin_Mom at 9:04 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take the old sippy and toss it... they now have sippys with straws..on this cup theres and allower u can adjust the peice connected to the straw to allow how much intake she can have check it out ...hope it works
    dantemommy

Answer by dantemommy at 9:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Just only give her little bits at a time. Then she will chug it and it will be gone. Dont give her anymore for a little while. Just make sure you give her enough. Maybe her body requires a little more than a usual 2 year old but not that much!!
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I've tried all of these things... Nothing works! She either chugs it, or gets mad and throws a tantrum (which I do know how to control...but hate that it gets to this point). She can't drink out of a regular cup yet though. She won't tilt her head back and it just spills out all over her every single time. It's just becoming a major frustration, and we shouldn't have this problem!!! Meal time should be a happy time. Not one that ends in tears because of a cup.
    Violin_Mom

Answer by Violin_Mom at 9:25 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My suggestion is to just give her smaller amounts throughout the day. She may be just really thirsty when it comes to meal times that she chugs it like that. Plus, you can always try just giving her water with her meals and not milk or juice. I noticed that children her age tend to chug drinks with flavor more than water. You can always fit in her milk somewhere else or in smaller bits throughout the day. Also as far as the leaky diapers go, get her Huggies Night Time diapers. They hold so much more. They were the only ones my son could use because he drank alot too and always leaked out of his diaper.
    Kasuko

Answer by Kasuko at 10:02 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My daughter chugs too... but she doesn't get mad when she runs out. I notice that sometimes she won't eat because she gets so full from her juice so I try to feed her first and then I'll get up midway through the meal and get her sippy cup from a hidden location in the kitchen. Sorry you have to go through the tantrums... hopefully you'll find something that works for her.
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 11:27 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Only keep water in the sippy for the majority of the day
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I've tried all of these things too. She drinks only water and milk (which she only gets at the table), I only give her 4 ounces at a time, take the cup away when she chugs it all telling her that if she would have taken little sips, she'd still have some left, etc. We've tried sippy cups with stoppers, without stoppers, cups with straws, cups with spouts, cups that are shaped more like regular cups, and nothing has helped. We have been dealing with this every day, every cup, every meal and she's so emotional about it that it drives us all up the wall! Something as stupid as this should not be an issue, but in our house it's an every day ordeal!

Keep the suggestions coming though... I swear I'm going to go insane if this keeps happening!
    Violin_Mom

Answer by Violin_Mom at 12:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• It sounds as if it is a behavior problem at this point with the tantrums. I suggest just giving her smaller amounts that she can "chug" several times a day, but when she starts throwing that fit- take action. Pick her up and take her to her room. Tell her that she is not allowed to act like that. Tell her to stay in her room until she is done with her fit, and then she can come out. I would try this for a few days to see what happens. Good Luck!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 5:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2008