What did IT for you?

I'm interested to see WHY we all believe what we believe.

I spent years studying different religeons and finally settled on Christ. That's me, though, and I have a lot of respect what others believe.

So I'd like to know what did it for you? What made you believe what you do?
And lets keep the responses nice, ladies. There are fights going on in two other questions if you are up for it.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 8:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i was raised in a very strict church that has LOTS of silly rules (its sinful for boys & girls to swim together). so i started asking questions & was told i was questioning God...which is a sin. so i stopped caring & did whatever i wanted. i still went to church but only b/c i had too. so when i went to college (a church run college) i stopped going to church. i ended up meeting some great ppl who thought the silly rules were crazy too & helped me see that Jesus never made those rules.

im still looking for some place to belong spiritually, but im focusing now on the love Jesus had for everyone. im starting to think more along the lines of myself & my family rather than this church or that religion.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• What ultimately opened my eyes and made me believe was a letter my cousin sent to me about a dream she thinks God gave her (about me). Through her dream she told me things only I knew about myself...things I never even told my husband. There's NO other way to explain how she knew.

I'm a firm believer!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• For me, the light bulb went on when I read St. Augustine's Confessions and realized that humanity hasn't changed in over 2,000 years. We still have the same problems, the same concerns, the same obstacles. I always thought Jesus wasn't relevant in today's society until I realized that society today is no different from society 2000 years ago, and if Jesus was relevant then, then maybe he was relevant now. That made me just stop and really look at my life. About 6 years after that, I was finally baptized, but it was that moment that made me stop and go....WHOA.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I haven't found IT yet. But I am searching. I am floundering a bit. So, reading these responses could be very interesting and very helpful!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I was raised Christian but from a very young age HATED it and never believed it. I started doing research on my own beliefs and found out that there was a religion for me... Now I'm a very proud Ecclectic Pagan!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I became interested in the dharmic religions back in high school. I had exposure to the Abrahamic religions growing up just by virtue of their dominance in Western society, but I always had a hard time with their view of God as a peronsified deity with likes, dislikes, opinions, etc. The thought of God as a 'Person' did not ring true to me. In university I took a comparative religion course and became intrigued by the dharmic faiths of the Eastern world, particularly Buddhism because it is very 'practice oriented' and there is not a lot of the dogma that I had a hard time accepting in other faiths. I filed it away as something to look into later on and didnt' get back to it for years, until I had severe PPD and anxiety after the birth of my second child. I knew that something had to change and I was reminded of the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism that I had learned back in Comparative Religion class.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Con't. So I went to the library. I did a lot of reading and research. I began implementing the Eightfold Path (the foundation of Buddhist practice) into my daily life. And, almost to my own surprise... it worked. I got a handle on my anxiety. I tuned into my life much more. I became a much happier and more peaceful and compassionate person. So I guess that was my 'IT' moment... that daily practice really enriched my life and made me a much more peaceful, happy, and compassionate person.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Having children of mine own, after a couple of miscarriages and after all the doctors told me I would never carry a baby to term. My little miracles started my return to Christ. Then I went through a few years (where I was spiritual but didn't read my Bible or go to church or really pray even) of massive depression and anxiety. I realized I needed something else in my life. I started coming back to Christ and praying and reading my Bible and studying. I finally went back to my church this past November. It has been wonderful! This was my first Christmas in years where I didn't need anti-depressants to get up in the morning! I love life! I love my kids! I love God for everything he has done, is doing, and will do in my life! I thank Him everyday for bringing me back to Him!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• What did IT for me? Probably a variety of factors. I was raised nominally Christian (not very religious household, very secular), battled depression and suicide for years, lived a very wild and sordid life in my younger days, explored other faiths in college (Judaism and Wicca), just a bunch of different experiences in life.
    But then my twins were born at 23 weeks gestation. That changed everything for me. I was broken, and I didn't know how to pick up the pieces. Everything that I thought I was, I wasn't. Everything I wanted to be, I couldn't. Everything that I abhorred, I was. My whole perspective on life was shattered. For me, Christ is my framework and my foundation now, to rebuild.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 10:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• When I see the suffering of those that REALLY deserve it, that will do IT. Has not happened yet, but, tomorrow is another day God might do the fire and brimstone thing. Come on man, do it!

Thanks for asking!
    Anonymous