When you see someone with rotten teeth,do you think they don't brush their teeth ?

I have bad teeth and they are all rotting out.I guess it's inherited because my mom had the same problem.She had to get dentures when she turned 18.But I don't smile anymore and when I talk,I try to keep my mouth closed as much as I can.Sometimes I notice people staring at my mouth when I talk.So I was wondering,what do you think when you see someone with rotten teeth?Do you just assume that they are nasty and just don't brush their teeth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, because I have the same problem! My mother had horrible teeth. But I think the main reason was that she was just a horrible mother and NEVER took me to the dentist, and never made me brush my teeth when I was younger. When I became old enough to see what was happening to my teeth I started brushing them like crazy, and I still do. Unfortunately I will be getting dentures soon, and I'm only 22.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• no.. my teeth are just as bad.. i brush, floss and mouth wash..all the stinkin time...
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 8:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Nope, mainly because I take such good care of my teeth, and my mom always took good care of her teeth and taught us good hygiene...But I have terrible teeth and so does my mama. (Luckily I just had extensive dental work done and you can't tell anymore-(thank you hubby for paying for that one!!) So I know it probably isn't their fault. I actually feel bad for them because I know the pain of having bad teeth (and having to live with it for a little while until we figured out how we were going to foot the $6,000 bill! Holy moly!!)

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 8:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Absolutely not. I think that's extremely shallow to assume that a person doesn't brush their teeth because they have rotting teeth. I'm sorry you're going through this. My FIL has this same problem, but it was because of years of drug use, which I'm happy to say he hasn't done in a number of years. There are many factors in tooth decay, and I hope things get better for you. I always look people in the eye, no matter what.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 9:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Honestly, its my first reaction. I think it depends on the entire package though. If you are put together otherwise, probably not. I feel guilty saying that.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Absolutely NOT!!! My mom said my dad used to get LOTS of comments about his beautiful teeth and at age 30 he had to have them all pulled and get dentures. I am 46 and have inherited that same disease. My top teeth are okay but the bottom ones are bad. I just need to bite the bullet and go get dentures.
    Anonymous

• I don't have great teeth, but I get regular dental care to avoid further damage. When I see people with rotten/ dirty teeth, I think that they are neglecting their hygiene or not brushing enough.
    Anonymous

• No. I know that so many don't have Dental Coverage!! That is Sad! Plus+ I nearly Died from A Bad Toth!! A Long horrible Story! I still live in pain from Bad Teeth! My DH had hardly any left.. There are inheriated issues, Poor Health from it & from Medicince too! Plus+ Child birth can hurt them too! See I had AWful Morning Sickness & the Acids from that can be harful!! I wish We had Good Medical/Dental Care & We don't! I knw many other's don't Either I hate that! Plus+ Sometimes Poor Teeth can produce Preemies I have Read!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• No. I have major dental issues myself. I didnt have dental insurance for 4 years and now that I do no one in my area is accepting the kind that I have. In my case the damage was actually caused by years of binging and purging and not stopping the damage that caused early on. Unfortunately I think people who DO have nice teeth and have the means to get the dental care they need probably do think people who have dental problems are "dirty"
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• lilbit me too samething to a T except I'm 27 and have a partial denture now though i shoulda had it down years ago my mother never took us to the dentist my first visit was last year money was alway an issue
    sharonrosen3

Answer by sharonrosen3 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2009