• In the Spotlight:

How can I get my daughter into ballet?

I don't know where to begin. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Look in the yellow pages for dance studios. Call and check a few out by going and meeting the personnel. If you can, talk to some of the other parents who are waiting for their child's class to finish to find out if they like the studio and the way things are run.

Answer by Bmat at 8:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Our daughter gets to do ballet at the local park n rec as they regularly do classes for 6 or 8 weeks at a time. It is a great option for younger ones to get exposed and see if they like it.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• If your daughter is in school you could ask another mom if they know a good place in your area. You can always look online or in the phone book too. I just enrolled my daughter in gymnastics a little bit ago and didn't really know what all she would need, what the classes cost, what kind of time and practice was required...but when I called around they were able to give me those answers. I ended up writing a big fat check for her leotard, the first month of classes, and they were already ordering her recital outfits so I paid for that up front too. It will at least give you some of the info you need.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• The rec dept or local Y are the best places to start. They offer short-term classes that expose children to an activity so if they don't like it then the parent isn't committed to a long-term contract and won't have to pay a lot of money.
    If she likes it after that then enroll her in a dance studio for summer classes or in the fall for the year-long (actually 8-9 months) program with a dance recital at the end.
    I danced for several years as a child and liked it - it was fun!
    One of my daughters danced for 10 years in just about every type of dance offered until she perfected being on pointe and then said she had enough and went on to other interests.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Make sure you WANT to do that---I'd try a modified sort of ballet or a different dance---ballet can absolutely ruin a child's feet!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2009