Should I approach another mother telling tales about my son?

My son is a senior in high school. He has an all around personality, and has won several acheivements in school. He is the Student Body president at his high school, is a Eagle Scout, a National Merit Scholarship Commended student, gifted ed and has a 35 on his ACT and 2170 on his ACT. He is an all A student except for one B in 6th grade and ...until this semester. He took a dual-enrollment (college course) and made one point shy of an A. His high school class ranking is unweighted GPA's so this one point has cost him a shot at Valedictorian. When there are several 4.0, they then go to the type of classes they took (AP, Honors, etc) and then their ACT. The mother of a girl at our HS that works as a grocery store clerk. Her daughter has a 4.0 and always "competed" against my son. She is telling tales that I grounded him (I didn't) and "talking smack" (per another mom). I've heard this from good sources. WWYD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i would ignore it
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• This is about if you grounded him or not or talking smack? WTH is smack anyway? No I would let it go unless it becomes harassing towards your family.

Anonymous

• I am the poster and I wanted to clarify by "smack" that she is just putting my son down for making the B and now saying HER daughter will be valedictorian. The only problem...the school is contesting the grading system the professor used (not only for my child but several), because it was a college class and should have been graded on a college point system, however it was graded on a high school point system. This mom is talking all over town that if my son gets the grade back, she will "cause trouble". She's already running her mouth....my daughter's best friend hears this everyday (she works with her). Should I approach her or let her make a fool of herself?
    Anonymous

• We can't change what others do and say. Only ourselves. Continue to prepare your son for college. Be his champion and let the smack from the drama queens mouth fall on deaf ears.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• To me that's petty, just let it go. She is a grown woman acting as a child still
    Anonymous

• I mean, its too bad that a grown woman cant hold herself to higher standards than you would a child, but what can you do really. I would let it go, tell your son that she doesn't have a say in the outcome, and let the school do what the school is going to do. In the end, the record he has is amazing and valedictorian or not, he is going to have his pick of colleges and a sound academic resume.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I know it's hard hearing about your baby. But, rise above it and just let her keep running her mouth. The situation with your son's grades will resolve itself and all her talking will then show her for who she is. Your son will smell like a rose.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 1:25 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• ignore it. it will come back on her.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• First of all, kudos on raising such a fine son. Sounds like a mother's dream - a successful, intelligent, thoughtful and outgoing young man who will make something of himself.
    Sounds like the other mom is just jealous.
    As for the valedictorian thing - I can't even remember who was valedictorian when I graduated. It didn't seem that big of a deal to me, and your son has so many other accomplishments let the "smack" mommy have her half second of glory, living vicariously through her daughter. For all you know, her daughter can't stand her own mother's behavior. She's probably embarassed by it but puts on a show for family solidarity.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree w/ letting the women's own words embarass herself. Your son is strong and knows that he is taking classes to better his future. I do know how hard it is when you had a goal and it hurts when it isn't gonna happen. Even when it is someone elses fault. You feel like someone is stealling from you. But over-all to be proud and keep working hard on steps for his future. Everything that happens to us matures us.
    lovewing

Answer by lovewing at 12:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2009