Is this appropriate?

I worked at a hotel and got no hours due to lack of business in the banquet department(bad economy, no surprise) so I just wasn't scheduled anymore. I had a good reputation at the hotel and got along very well with my coworkers and managers. I had been working there for three years*from 2005 to 2008* My question is, since the department I was working in was suffering and all the other departments are doing well, do you think it would be appropriate to ask HR for permission to be moved to a different department? I've been on good terms with her, she's a very understanding lady and knows my life/financial situation with my son and going to school. All my other jobs in the past just didn't go well or I was laid off due to "no work." Economy is crap now days and I feel like I may have to resort to this place for a while(its also very close to home so it saves me gas, another reason why its hard to leave this place).

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• with things going the way they are i think you should do what you have to to be able to stay ahead, with a child and school you'll need a job,if she's as understanding as you say then i think it'll be ok
    sharonrosen3

Answer by sharonrosen3 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I think it is very appropriate. It would be acceptable in almost any other work situation to ask for a transfer. There is nothing unprofessional about that. They may even need the extra help in other areas. Just remember to remain professional if your request is denied. You will need that reference when looking for a job that will give you hours
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I don't see why you shouldn't give it a try. It is not inappropriate whatsoever!! Best of luck to you!!

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 9:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I'm in HR and it is completely appropriate. From our perspective, you're an existing, trained employee. We know your work history, we would not have to recruit, interview, hire, train, or background check you...we've already paid to do that. It would show them that you are flexible and willing to learn new things/responsibilities and cross training would make your job even more secure with the company because, if you stayed flexible, you could be used in different departments depending on the needs. Definitely talk to her and see what they have available. I will warn you that right now people are having to offer part time to get out of offering benefits because they are so expensive, but part time is better than nothing if you're really needing a job.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate. You have that job so that you can work.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 9:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• What's the worst that can happen? they could say no thank you, or they could have something available. I would give it a shot, can you afford not too? Good Luck!

busygirl247

Answer by busygirl247 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Kabbot:

I'm not looking for benefits and looking for part time so that's not a problem. I've worked in a couple of departments already. I've had tons of hotel experience...lol.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• If they won't give you another position, file for unemployment due to lack of work, based on what you've said, you will no doubt qualify . . . you've paid into it and times are hard, so if all else fails, here's another option for you.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Then definitely go for it! It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask...its not like they could look down on you for WANTING to work.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I think that it is more than appropriate. They would probably be willing to work with you considering that you are such a dependable employee and kabbot is right...it never hurts to ask. Good luck:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2009