Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there a way to get around having to take pre-requisites in college?

I finished my first year of college 7 years ago and dropped out after that. I'm thinking of going back but I never finished taking my pre-req's. I don't want it to take me 6 years to complete a 2 year degree and I'm afraid that's what will happen. Is there a way around those?

This is at a community college.


Asked by ReneeK3 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 2 (9 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • CLEP test!! they are around $80.00, google it, there are over 30 tests you can take.

    but it's not taking you 7 yrs to finish, you dropped out. it's still just taking you two years. don't let that bring you down, just get back on the school train and finish what you need to do.

    Answer by charisma10 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • Some colleges will let you test out of some pre-requisites. You have to check with the admissions department of whatever school you are interested in.

    Answer by Rebecca7708 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • you might have the registrars office evaluate your transcripts to see if any of the classes you took will count for your current program. Since it has been 7 years your previous classes might not count towards your program.

    Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • I go to a private college and I do not need to take my pre-req's over. There is a 10 year clause with most colleges and you need to retake your pre-req's if they are over ten years old. If you have the old book from the college you went to to prove it is the same as the current class or you can test out, but, will need to pay for the whole class. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

  • Sometimes you can test out; sometimes your "real world" experiences will fulfill a certain requirement. You really need to ask the school.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2009