Has anyone ever not had this test

that sugar glucose test, has anyone ever not taken it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Why wouldnt you? It's to you & your babies benefit.
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• im sure the only people who havent are people without insurance and even then its iffy
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• the doc almost missed the time period for me to get it done... but i all it was was a lil blood taking to test my blood sugar... its just to make sure ur not diabetic...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• i had mine done... like above why wouldnt u want to???? its to ur childs benefit
    Anonymous

• I have almost missed it from the docs mistake. I have also gotten 45 min into testing time and got sick and had to do it again. I do not understand why you would not do it since it is for the good of you and your unborn child .
    Anonymous

• That is a risk I was unwilling to take. If I didn't have insurance I would have found a way to pay for it.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I had GDM. It's important to detect. It can affect baby and mom. My case was pretty mild- easy to control with diet. And it gave the docs a head up to watch his glucose levels after birth. I can't imagine not taking the test for any reason. It's a blood draw... There are far more controversial tests.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I refused it with my last child. I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar--the opposite of diabetes) and that test made me so sick. I failed the 1 hour test with my middle 2 kids but about 5 minutes after leaving the office my blood sugar bottomed out and I almost passed out getting into the car. The 3 hour test was even worse. I took every ounce of will power not to throw up that sugary drink. It made me so sick that I was in bed the rest of the day and my blood sugar went south after the first hour but since I was in the middle of the test I wasn't allowed to eat and pretty much passed out in my seat.
    For me, taking the test is more dangerous then not. I don't see a point in taking it if it makes me that sick and low blood sugar isn't good for me or the baby (and every time my sugar gets that low it kills off some more brain cells).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I haven't had it in my last two pregnancies. I see no point. I have no symptoms and have never had it before. And yes, I do have insurance.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I have no risk factors, so I did not take it. There is also a lot of debate out there on whether this is a real condition or not as well, since the test varies from place to place. The best thing to do regardless is to eat a healthy diet that is not over-loaded with sugar.
    squish

Answer by squish at 9:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2009