I don't want to waste breast milk

My baby is one month old and he will eat anywhere from 3-5 ounces. I pump out his bottles and always make sure to make 5 ounces just in case he wants it, but I hate having to throw the rest out if he doesn't finish. Is it ok to put in the fridge and use some of it at the next feeding if it hasn't been out long?

ours

Asked by ours at 9:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they say that once a baby starts drinking out of a bottle that u shouldnt re use any of it and u should dump it
    Anonymous

• Breast milk can remain unrefrigerated for up to 6 hours, but I think once you start to feed it to the baby you have to throw it out after 3. I could be wrong.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• only reuse it once, but yes you can do that. If he doesn't finish a bottle that has milk that's on it's second time, don't put that bottle in the fridge again.
    Anonymous

• I do. After eating some what's left I'll put in the fridge for the rest of that day and then throw the rest out at the end of the day. But I know what you mean about hating to waste it. So I would freeze 3 oz at a time, or 3 and 2 and then if he wants more after that you can thaw another one without wasting any.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 9:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• You can pump and leave in it the fridge for 24 hrs. Freeze it is good for 3 months I believe, can't remember exactly on that one. Breast Milk is good for only one hour after being brought out from the fridge or freezer.

Anonymous

• It is not something that you are supposed to do. Milk can sit out at room temperature for up to 8 hours. I usually dump it after 5 or 6. Otherwise, it is best to just get rid of the milk.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 9:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Store it in smaller portions, 2-3 ounces. It is easy to add more milk to the bottle, but once it is in you can't take it out! See "Reusing Expressed Breastmilk" at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/reusing-expressedmilk.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• i have read a million articles. including the one from my breast pump kit. breast milk can stay good for up to four hours at rm temp. it can stay in the fridge 4-6 days and in the freezer 6 months. it can stay ice pack for up to 24 hours as long as they stay frozen and cold. everyone says never reheat milk due to bacteria but ive also read there is no proof that it is harmful. i hate wasting milk as well so i know on av my daughter will eat at least 4 ounces so i prepare 4 ounce bottles and wat ever extra milk i have i keep in the pumped bottles. i tell my mother if need be heat more. if not dont. also if ur mil is low drink more liquids and offten. an dpump every 3-4 hours...or feed. ur baby makes more milk as he feeds then u do breast pumping anyways.
    SummerMom072208

Answer by SummerMom072208 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• they say not to reuse breastmilk OR formula that has already been fed to a baby. Even if it is just leftover, there is bacteria from your baby's mouth that collects in the bottle after the baby has finished sucking on it that can make it unhealthy for baby to eat the rest of the bottle. I used to re-use bottles, then my baby got sick and they told me it was partially from the bacteria from the bottles... we don't do that anymore!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• You can freeze it in those ice tray looking things that have lids and just get one or two out at a time
    Anonymous